Question regarding 6.5" comp & rear speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Spy021
10+ year member

Hello everyone...

Just registered tonight on the forum after browsing for the past week. Excellent forum you guys have here, with great information!

I am currently looking to put a modest system in my vehicle (99 Acura Integra GSR hatch-back). I recently picked up the Alpine CDA-9813 as my headunit due to the MP3 playback and previous experience with the brand. I am now looking for a set of 6.5" component speakers. I intend to run an amp to them when I also purchase my sub, but for the first couple of months, they will have to suffice using the power from the HU.

I have been debating the many choices offered in the 6.5" comp variety. I had considered picking up a set of the Alpine Type-S 6.5" comp (SPS-171A) for up front and a set of the Alpine Type-S 6.5" coaxials (SPS-170A) for the rear. However, after browsing through many of the threads I've started to reconsider. I have heard wonderful things about the CDT CL-61a which have piqued my interest, especially when I found out that they may be available for roughly the same price as the Alpines. Unfortunately it seems that I missed out on the deal that TheZeb had on the CDT CL-61a's. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

As for my question, should I use a coaxial speaker in the the rear of the car? At one time I was under the impression that it was better to use a midbass speaker in the rear and only have the tweeters up front. This was another reason why I thought about going with the CDT's. After researching them a bit more, I found that they offered a separate 6.5" midbass/midrange driver (CL-6) that I believe would work well with the CL-61a's. I was all set to purchase both sets until I found that they were out-of-stock on the CL-61a's. =(

Looking back at the Alpine's, I notice that they do not offer a separate midbass only speaker in their Type-S, Type-R, or Type-X (non-flagship) line. The have a full-range coaxial only.

Any thoughts on whether I should go with a coaxial or full-range speaker in the rear instead of a midbass/midrange only speaker?

I would like to stay around the $200-$250 range for a set of comp and rear speakers. Any insight would be appreciated.

I personally wouldn't put components in the rear just cause I think the best set up is to have your best sound up front. If you wanna fill the rear I think coaxials are fine. I"m contemplating midbass for the rear. I wanna keep all the details of sound up front. That's just my opinion though.

I personally wouldn't put components in the rear just cause I think the best set up is to have your best sound up front. If you wanna fill the rear I think coaxials are fine. I"m contemplating midbass for the rear. I wanna keep all the details of sound up front. That's just my opinion though.
I definitely will avoid using components in the rear. I was even a bit hesitant on using a coaxial in the rear- hence my thinking of a dedicated midbass.

As has been stated, this will depend on your personal preference. If you want a solid front stage I would avoid rear speakers that are not bass oriented and give time and detail to aiming and positioning your fronts.

If you want fill then I'd go with the midbass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.