Question Inverting and Reversing Polarity

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mr.SoloDolo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a 4th order and can not fit the length of aeroports to get the tuning that I want even with 90 degree elbows because of the subs mounting depth.

The motor and basket are the in the ported side.

My question is can If I flip the motor to the sealed side would I have to REVERSE POLARITY??

Mind you this is a 4th order enclosure so I'm not sure how doing so would effect the design and output.

The subs should be wired to fire into the ported chamber. If they were going to be installed magnet facing ported chamber, they would be wired inverted, if they are installed cone facing ported chamber, they will be wired normal. Most decks and sub amps have a phase invert switch, so it wouldn't really matter, you can reverse phase by using the 180 switch.

Swear? I had them it installed magnet facing the ported chamber but wired "normal" vs. "inverted"

Is this why it sounded like ass!? I didn't really like the output of the enclosure at all... thought it was just my opinion on 4th orders but maybe reversing polarity would increase performance?

Thanks for the input deaf.

The subs should be wired to fire into the ported chamber. If they were going to be installed magnet facing ported chamber, they would be wired inverted, if they are installed cone facing ported chamber, they will be wired normal. Most decks and sub amps have a phase invert switch, so it wouldn't really matter, you can reverse phase by using the 180 switch.
What? No. There is no rule that says a sub must fire into the sealed chamber, or the ported one. In fact, it 'fires' into both. The only thing in question here is will the cone start its motion by moving one way, or the other. The answer? It depends. Any sub install, ANY sub install, should have the polarity reversed, when tuning the system, to find out which polarity gives the best performance, as it is affected by many things such as the vecile installed in, the install itself, the rest of the stereo components used, etc. This holds true whether the sub is mounted sealed, ported, 4th order, 6th order, IB, or any other install/enclosure type you can imagine.

What? No. There is no rule that says a sub must fire into the sealed chamber, or the ported one. In fact, it 'fires' into both. The only thing in question here is will the cone start its motion by moving one way, or the other. The answer? It depends. Any sub install, ANY sub install, should have the polarity reversed, when tuning the system, to find out which polarity gives the best performance, as it is affected by many things such as the vecile installed in, the install itself, the rest of the stereo components used, etc. This holds true whether the sub is mounted sealed, ported, 4th order, 6th order, IB, or any other install/enclosure type you can imagine.
I was trying to give a very simplistic

configuration of a 4th order BP. My answer was derived from an explanation of the theory of 4th order BPs. Yes, the subs use both chambers, but when designed, the sealed chamber of a 4th BP is usually made to work for the subs optimum sealed rating when wired in a normal configuration. You are correct in saying that it will work either way. That is why i mentioned the phase switch. It can be used to adjust phase to which configuration works best in the environment.

...the sealed chamber of a 4th BP is usually made to work for the subs optimum sealed rating when wired in a normal configuration.
Speaker phase/polarity has nothing to do with the optimal enclosure volume. They are two factors that do not affect each other in any way Im aware of.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.