Question About Sub Box Size

Baller95

Toronto
If you look at the picture below you'll see that the recommended internal volume for a sealed box for my Alpine Type S 10" is between 0.5 - 0.85 cubic feet. That is the recommended volume for a single sub so if I'm placing two subs in one enclosure with shared air space, I just need to double the volume right? So 1 - 1.7 cubic feet for the two?

Also, I generally listen to EDM and Trap and sometimes hip hop. These genres have lower bass frequency so from what I've read, it's best that I go with the higher side of the recommended volume?

I've decided to go sealed since it's easier to build and I'll be overpowering my subs by about 100 WRMS.

zTBSCda.jpg

Thanks!

Also if anyone's got suggestions on how I can make a good ported box tuned to 30Hz that'd be awesome. I really really want ported but I'm leaning towards sealed since it's easier lol.

Yes double the cubes for two 12's. If it's going to be 2 channels i would also add a divider in the box. Mono don't worry about. Having said that, sounds to me your going to want a ported box! Download the torres program and DO SOME RESEARCH it's really not that hard.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I think my biggest worry about going ported was how to tune a box and how to have the right box volume. After creating this thread I found a video that taught me how to design a ported box with proper tuning and volume using WinISD. Watching that definately gave me a better understanding on how to do things so I think I'm willing to try building a ported box. I haven't yet measured the space I have in the back of my trunk but I'll be putting it in a 2012 Grand Caravan. I'm thinking upward firing subs with the port facing the back hatch. Thoughts?

Also, is WinISD & Torres similar kinda programs?

I have a hatch area as well, and yes subs up and port back is fine, that's the way that I have mine. It also keeps the sub out of the way when you might need to haul a lil bit of stuff.

I would go with the torres program just my personal preference. Also it had a solid reputation. Your port and sub positioning sounds good to me.

Alright I think I'm finally done! So this should be tuned to 34 Hz, with an net volume of 2.55 ft^3. My goal was 2.6 ft^3 but I'm happy with this. I'm probably going to add a bit more bracing so as long as I'm over 2.3 cubes I'm happy. Also double baffled the front. I did not remove 0.75" from my port length to account for the extra baffle in the sketch below but I'll remember to do it when I build the box. WinISD is telling me that I should see 120.7 dB @ 42.2 Hz which is pretty decent. Port air velocity is around 82 ft/s @ 32 Hz which is ok. Overall I'm happy. Hopefully it ends up sounding good! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

b8nJERC.jpg

qc7S3El.jpg

RLIK9QC.jpg

WFWY2VD.jpg

YLncdDO.jpg

One thing to consider is the fact that the left sub is positioned in front of the port wall and the right in front of the back wall. This will cause the subs to move at different rates, giving the left sub more wear and tear sooner. All the dual sub enclosures I build are center ported for this reason.

Alright I think I'm finally done! So this should be tuned to 34 Hz, with an net volume of 2.55 ft^3. My goal was 2.6 ft^3 but I'm happy with this. I'm probably going to add a bit more bracing so as long as I'm over 2.3 cubes I'm happy. Also double baffled the front. I did not remove 0.75" from my port length to account for the extra baffle in the sketch below but I'll remember to do it when I build the box. WinISD is telling me that I should see 120.7 dB @ 42.2 Hz which is pretty decent. Port air velocity is around 82 ft/s @ 32 Hz which is ok. Overall I'm happy. Hopefully it ends up sounding good! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
b8nJERC.jpg

qc7S3El.jpg

RLIK9QC.jpg

WFWY2VD.jpg

YLncdDO.jpg
What software did you use?

One thing to consider is the fact that the left sub is positioned in front of the port wall and the right in front of the back wall. This will cause the subs to move at different rates, giving the left sub more wear and tear sooner. All the dual sub enclosures I build are center ported for this reason.
Just move the 10s closer so they both loading off port wall
Shieettt, I didn't think it'd make a difference. Back to the drawing board I guess. There's not enough room to move the two subs together so I'm going to have to figure out how to make two ports and perhaps divide both subs into their own spaces.

What software did you use?
Google SketchUp.

Just a suggestion and your software or CC may be able to give us more info but what if you narrowed the port and compensated by adding length? This way you can get that port under both subs, It sounds like it could work in regards to sq inches of port height and width but since we're dealing with acoustics this may not work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion and your software or CC may be able to give us more info but what if you narrowed the port and compensated by adding length? This way you can get that port under both subs, It sounds like it could work in regards to sq inches of port height and width but since we're dealing with acoustics this may not work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good suggestion but I think I'll get a lot of port noise if I narrow the port //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.