question about a MTX 1501D runnning at 4ohm

this system will be in a '93 mustang with proly a stock alt. i don't want to make the eletrical system unreliable (G/F sister's car)

Why buy an amp when your only gonna use 1/2 its rated power???? Doesn't make sense to me.
x2 lol sell it too me and buy a amp that draws less current //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Dude, you can mod that amp to run at 1 ohm pushing about 1800w daily. With a 4 channel hooked up as well. I used that set-up with a stock electrical system and had no problems what so ever.

Why buy an amp when your only gonna use 1/2 its rated power???? Doesn't make sense to me.
you're missing the point bro...i have this amp laying around and figured i'd give it to my GF's sister just to use for a while.

will the amp draw half the power from the electrical system that it normally draws if i were to run it at 4ohm?

To answer your question; The amplifier should draw half the current at 4ohms that it draws at 2ohms assuming 1) the power output at 4ohm is half that at 2ohm 2) efficiency at 4ohm is the same as at 2ohm and 3) you are comparing the current draw at equivalent voltage levels.

There are so many variables that it isn't a simple yes or no answer. But in general yes, it should be in the vicinity of half the current draw.

To answer your question; The amplifier should draw half the current at 4ohms that it draws at 2ohms assuming 1) the power output at 4ohm is half that at 2ohm 2) efficiency at 4ohm is the same as at 2ohm and 3) you are comparing the current draw at equivalent voltage levels.
There are so many variables that it isn't a simple yes or no answer. But in general yes, it should be in the vicinity of half the current draw.
thanks for the straight reply squeak.

icetee...it's a'93 mustang 5.0. i had a '91 and had to change the alt out because the stock one crapped out. i bought the 130 amp alt that they put into the cop cars but i don't know which alt this car has.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.