Putting a System Together From a Box of Stuff...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kugeo

Hey everyone, and thanks in advance,

I'm looking for opinions on what equipment I should use for installation in a 2009 Ford Ranger standard cab. Here's my situation, I have a bunch of pieces lying around, and very little money. Currently I'm designing/building a custom sub box to fit behind the seats. It's a tight fit, but a little creativity and a touch of Poly-fil and I think it's going to be just fine. I have a variety of equipment in my garage ranging from salvages from vehicles that I've sold, equipment purchases with forgotten intentions, and a couple of real bargains that I just couldn't pass up.

Here's what I have:

- Head unit, Alpine CDA-7995

- For the sub, I have a single RF RPZ2810 dual VC sub (soon to be in the soon to be completed sealed enclosure)

- For the amps, I have:

- Rockford Punch 400.4

- Alpine MRP-f450

- Precision Power A204 Art Series

- a/d/s PQ10

- a/d/s PQ20

- Kenwood KAC-9104D mono

- For the speakers, I have:

- 1 pair Alpine SPS-170A

- 1 Pair Infinity 605cs

- 1 pair Pioneer 100w 4x6's (currently installed in truck, not sure of the exact model #)

Here's what I was thinking:

Alpine head unit

RF 10" Sub (custom Cabinet)

Infinity components (front)

Alpine 2-ways (rear)

Kenwood mono amp ( I realize this may be a little overpowered for the single 10")

Now my biggest delima is which 4 channel amp to use. Initially I was going to use the Alpine because of the built in crossovers (missing from the a/d/s amps). But the head unit has fairly versatile high and low pass filtering capability. I have the a/d/s/ 643CSi crossover, but not sure if I have everything I need to use it. So, should I use the a/d/s PQ20 amp instead of the Alpine? Or should I use the RF? Or the PPI? Or am I wasting my time?

I listen to mostly rock / classic rock and I like my music loud, but not boomy and prefer clarity over volume. The Ranger is a very small environment, so it shouldn't take much to make it loud enough. Any help / suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

each amp will sound different. not only because of the different filtering capability, but also the sonic signature of the amp.

i would set yourself up with an amp rack that allows you to experiment with them. installing, tuning, and listening to them is the only way to know which one is your favorite.

you do get crossovers with the PPI, this is a nice amp, and even though the rated power is lower, so is the distortion. it'll sound better than the Alpine.

http://www.precisionpower.com/Manuals/Amplifier%20Manuals/Precision_Power_Art%20Series%20A204,%20A404,%20AX400%20Amplifiers.pdf

i vote no on the Alpine, those amps were cheaply made and have quality issues.

i think that running both A/D/S amps is your best bet for SQ. run them active with the 643CSi if you have the parts to make it work. use the PQ10 for your front tweeters and rear speakers (disconnect rear tweeter). Use the PQ20 for your front woofers.

or for a simple system run the PPI and sell the A/D/S on DIYMA - the lot of amps and x-over should net around $300-400.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.