Pushing subs too hard??!?!

cashmoneymusik
10+ year member

Chicago
Hey guys, I am new to the car audio thing and will be getting my first system installed this weekend. I had a couple questions about the equipment and if you guys could put in some advice it would be much appreciated. So to start off I chose a obcon 12" dual per-fab box MDF construction w/ Labyrinth portings tuned to 36 hrz. Next I knew I wanted 1 ohm capability after hearing my buddy's 2 JL w7 13" pounding 2000w. So I selected a amp I heard great reviews about the DB drive A4 1800w@1 900@2 450@4. Next I selected my sub I went with an alpine type x 12 I scored off eBay brand news for 300$ I then shortly ran out of money. (this is where I need you) I have a box that can hold two subs and don't have the money for another type x. I saw that the new type r is rated between 300-1000w rms so would it be possible to use that as a cheaper alternative with the x and still run it at 1 ohm getting the full 1800w or will that be pushing the R to hard? Btw both subs would be 4 ohm DVC wired in parallel to produce a 1 ohm load.

Hopefully that makes sense Lmk if you have any questions and thank you very much for the help. Another tid bit I forgot is I am having it all professionally installed at best buy so I don't **** anything up.

Hopefully that makes sense Lmk if you have any questions and thank you very much for the help. Another tid bit I forgot is I am having it all professionally installed at best buy so I don't **** anything up.
LOL

I would definitely suggest NOT using two different models of subs together especially in the same box if it has a common chamber. I would just wait it out till you can afford the 2nd type X, or sell/return that type x for 300$ and buy two new R's. the 2012 type R's in the right box, with clean signal should take 900rms without too much problem.

Thanks Jerhemy, is there any reason why not to? At first it seem like a good idea combining the SQ of the type X with a little bit of SPL from the type R. But now I am leaning tword saving for another type x

Thanks Jerhemy, is there any reason why not to? At first it seem like a good idea combining the SQ of the type X with a little bit of SPL from the type R. But now I am leaning tword saving for another type x
It dont work like that. Next tim,e ask questions before you buy stuff and DONT go to best buy

@ DCtC take a chill pill bro I haven't purchased the type r yet that's why I am here. I have @ least enought common sense to only buy **** that I KNOW for a fact will work. The only puchases I have made were the Amp, box and one single alpine type x, ( because I ran out of money for the other one) which is why I was asking. And worst case rn I can run the type x at 2 ohm at 900w til I get enought loot for the other x.

I'm not sure the exact reasons why it's bad to mix sub brands and sizes in a setup, but hopefully some of the more experienced members will chime in. As far as I can guess, it's due to issues with phase and cancellation between the two different drivers.

It's always best to just save up and do isht right the first time, I had 90% of my system bought and sitting waiting to install but I didn't have my batteries or HO alt yet so I waited. No sense in half-assin it after you've got that much money into it already ya know.

And as far as best buy installers go... I had my first system (when i was 16) installed there, and all i had was issues with grounds and amp settings. It is nice that they will warranty their work, but if you buy the equipment off ebay or somewhere other than best buy that day, they won't warranty much at all, blame it on the "cheap ebay equipment." (that's what happened to me) I would much rather install everything myself and KNOW that it's done right, or at least you know exactly whats been done. Best buy installers don't know jack, at least around here haha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.