Purchasing my first amp!!

Trae

VA Beach
New to car audio, I am trying to learn and get a decent beginner kit set up.

I currently own a 07' Chrysler 300, the following is my current set up:

HU: JVC KW-av61bt

Max power out put: 50w x 4

RMS: 20w RMS x 4 channel @ 4 ohms (no more than 1% THD+N)

Amplifier: MOS-FET

Equalizer: 3 band parametric iEQ

Frequency Response: 40-20,000Hz

Load Impedance: 4 ohms (4-8 allowable)

Speakers: Kenwood Excelon KFC-X639

Impedance (ohms): 3

Frequency Response: 50-25k HZ

RMS: 2-130

Peak Power: 300w

Sensitivity (db): 89db @ 1W

I will be running an amp and sub. I am currently browsing forums and reviews seeking a 5 channel amp that will sufficiently power 4 kenwood Excelon X693 6x9s (2-130 RMS / 300w peak) and a jbl 1600w series 12 dual voice coil in a ported box (given to me by a friend). My range is roughly 200-300$, I'm willing to spend a touch more if it will make an incredible difference and ensure the safety of my HU and speakers (spending less than my budget is always a + too). I have found 2 that look like they will work but for the cost and amount of power, seems like a waste?

Infinity Reference 5350a

RMS: 50x4 + 150x1

Peak Power: 89x4

Minimum impedance bridged: 4

Minimum impedance unabridged: 2

Best frequency response: 10-100khz

THD: 1%

Signal to noise ratio: 85db

Kenwood KAC-7005PS

RMS: 40x4 + 300x1

Peak Power: 104x4

Minimum impedance bridged: 4

Minimum impedance unabridged: 2

Best frequency response: 5-50k HZ

THD: 1%

Signal to noise ratio: 80db

Think either of these are sufficient to run my set up without speaker blow outs and sounding nice? As I said just getting my feet wet and trying to learn. I don't mind if the sub doesn't operate at max capacity so long as I can distinctly hear it above my in car 6x9s. Not looking to blow my trunk off, just need enough for personal pleasure. I can go above my price range (200-300 or less) if it ensures safety and clarity. I'm open to suggestion and opinions on current options. Also with the thought in mind that I may get a diff sub =/

A quick brief on how pairing amps to speakers and how the power needs work would be cool, if anyone is bored. I.E if speakers and sub are rated @ X rms you want a amp that is Rated @ X and why. I'll skim the amp threads in the mean time.

Someone told me you actually blow speakers because of under powering them (low rms in amp / high rms in speakers) rather than overpowering them. That seems backwards.

Just found this well under my price range and seems to be more powerful

Precision Power PPI S580.5 580W Max, Sedona Series 5-Channel Amplifier...anyone know if it's crap or will suit my set up?

Just found this well under my price range and seems to be more powerful
Precision Power PPI S580.5 580W Max, Sedona Series 5-Channel Amplifier...anyone know if it's crap or will suit my set up?
If you get precision power, dont ever go with sedona series they are junk.

go with phantom, ion or black ice.

i already named you the two models that were great solid performers for the money in the other thread. 520.4 ION is around 120 (one for cheaper in the classifieds) and the ppi phantom 900.4/black ice 800.4 if you want a bit more power with active capabilties. there's a ppi phantom 900.5 if you need a 5 channel.

If you get precision power, dont ever go with sedona series they are junk.
go with phantom, ion or black ice.

i already named you the two models that were great solid performers for the money in the other thread. 520.4 ION is around 120 (one for cheaper in the classifieds) and the ppi phantom 900.4/black ice 800.4 if you want a bit more power with active capabilties. there's a ppi phantom 900.5 if you need a 5 channel
Thanks for the tip on the 900.5 and it's at the lower end of my budget so I'm happy. Think you could give me a 123 easy breakdown on amps/speakers, matching their power levels up, and pros cons of under/over powering?

I'm trying to understand why I was told it's better to over power speakers rather then under power. 70rms channel to 130 rms I speakers I was told is a bad thing? Or was the sales person a shady sob?

you just want enough power to spare because the downside to underpowering is, most people think their speakers can do more so they turn up the gain and head unit loudness levels to achieve the volume they want and they end up clipping the signal and blowing their speakers. With overpowering, its not really overpowering, you still need to set the gains right so you have just the correct amount of power going to your speakers. If you have too much power going in, there's a good chance they will melt too if their voice coils cant handle the heat, usually happens when you have 1.5X to 2X their rated rms going into them. Dont worry though, if you have any sense of listening, you'll know when speakers are starting to distort. The key thing here is take things slow and learn how to set gains with a multi-meter(google it up) and slowly learn the limits of your equipment, since your new, take this advice, If you smell anything funky, turn things off and lower the settings either on your amp or headunit.

remember, high pass filters are your friend and try not to have the gain past 45-50% once you hear tweeters sounding really harsh, thats an early sign of clipping. Bass boost should be off on both amp and head unit.

I wouldn't knock the kenwood kac models I personally have the kac 8150d and run that thing full tilt for my hour + ride

Home with no problem. I'm sure for the money you can get better. But I personally liked mine

I wouldn't knock the kenwood kac models I personally have the kac 8150d and run that thing full tilt for my hour + ride

Home with no problem. I'm sure for the money you can get better. But I personally liked mine

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.