Purchasing my first amp!!

Grab the digital multi meter as suggested and learn how to gain match. It makes a huge difference in your system. That's one I wish I would have learned 10 years sooner. Helps protect your subs. The amp gain is NOT a volume it signal adjust for matching amp input signal to the output of head units! Search how to gain match amps there is some very easy to understand tutorials that walk you through every step. If your not a diy-er have your local shop do it.

Are you installing, or having someone else?
In all honesty I was going to do the install myself. I have no issue ripping my car apart and putting it back together, BUT being this is my first kit i think it would behoove me to have it professionally done. Once it's installed, I play with it, i read more on these forums, and my knowledge base grows I may eventually feel confident installing and adjusting car audio. For now I'm looking for sound, not an expensive lesson. The more I read the more I realize just how intricate this is, just read someone hooked their amp up backwards and fried it....that would most assuredly be me : ).

instead of a 5 channel amp do a 4 channel and a sub amp it will be easier to upgrade later and i guarantee you, you will upgrade
Very smart move and thank you. I actually went to a local dealer at the beach front to check out some 12" subs to compare them to what I was "gifted". I heard 2 12" Kenwoods and about died. Was it overkill? YES! Was it exhilirating and beautiful? YES!! I may want personal sound but at the same time I can always turn the bass down, when the family is in the car. I can see how this hobby/sport can pull you in. So I may actually take your advice and have 2 seperate amps installed and go with a set of 10s or 12s. I'm gonna have to head back there to get the model of those Kenwoods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grab the digital multi meter as suggested and learn how to gain match. It makes a huge difference in your system. That's one I wish I would have learned 10 years sooner. Helps protect your subs. The amp gain is NOT a volume it signal adjust for matching amp input signal to the output of head units! Search how to gain match amps there is some very easy to understand tutorials that walk you through every step. If your not a diy-er have your local shop do it.
Will do!! As I stated in the previous post, this first set up will be professionally installed, but I don't plan on going back everytime I want to make an adjustment. Definately a good bit of info right there, thanks!

Well the JBL I was being gifted is a bust: Poor storage in a leaky garage. Going to pick up a Alpine SWS-12d4 Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I know which amp I want if I decide to power the sub separately. Is the Precision Power 900.5 P900.5 - Phantom - Amplifiers - Products still still able to run sufficient power to get the sub up to or at peak performance.

Any other suggestions for a 5 channel, if the phantom is no longer optimal, to power the sws and 4 kenwood Excelon 6x9s http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/Speakers/KFC-X693

Last edited by a moderator:
Although this may be true for the newer models but ALL PPi SEDONA series amps are most certainly not junk. Do u remember the 90s?
Was expecting him to buy something in the 2010s generation, new with warranty. Dont really think he's enough of an enthusiast to hunt down old gems.

Well the JBL I was being gifted is a bust: Poor storage in a leaky garage. Going to pick up a Alpine SWS-12d4 Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
I know which amp I want if I decide to power the sub separately. Is the Precision Power 900.5 P900.5 - Phantom - Amplifiers - Products still still able to run sufficient power to get the sub up to or at peak performance.

Any other suggestions for a 5 channel, if the phantom is no longer optimal, to power the sws and 4 kenwood Excelon 6x9s Kenwood - KFC-X693

I think the model of the kenwoods you heard at the store was probably http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFC-W3013PS/dp/B004X8ROLS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

well, now that you've experienced bass gotta let us know the total budget for 4 channel amp, subs, wiring and installation, sub amp and subwoofer enclosure. Plenty of choices all around.

Yep, that is the one I saw and it was pretty nice. I couldn't decide between that or the Alpine....the alpine was slightly more expensive, had some lower frequencies and more power but the kenwood hummed so clean....blast and bother all these choices!
they are okay beginner subs, which are fine for you, you can run two of them on an 800 rms monoblock with a 4 channel amp without having to upgrade your electrical system. Remember this though, how it sounds is based on the enclosure its in. Dont expect to get the same bass from some premade storebought enclosure or some online ebay/amazon enclosure. It sounded clean because it was in a properly designed ported enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.