Pulling speaker wire into a door (Toyota)

Participant count
  • Participant list

dthor68
10+ year member

Its a Prius C One. But I am thinking that maybe all of the Toyota's are like this. The problem that I am having is where the rubber boot passes from the door to the pillar, there is a wiring harness connector mounted into the pillar. The entire grommet is the connector with no way to pull a Wire in.

Can anyone tell me how to remove this connector so that I can pull the Speaker Wire in? I imagine that the front doors are even more difficult.

Thanks,

Derek

You have a couple of options. Typically these connectors have some sort of mechanism that attach them to the door and to each other. So regardless of which method you choose you will be disconnecting them from the door and one another. With toyotas typically they attach at the car side not the door side so pull back the rubber and unplug the car side from the door side next figure out how the car side attaches to the car and pull it into the kick panel it should be barely long enough to plug back into the door side when you pull it through. Once you have reached this point you have a choice to make. You can either find some empty spots where there would be pins and get some pins from toyota and add them to both sides of the plug. Or if there is enough space you can drill a hole in the plug itself checking for clearance on both sides large enough to fit your wire through.

You have a couple of options. Typically these connectors have some sort of mechanism that attach them to the door and to each other. So regardless of which method you choose you will be disconnecting them from the door and one another. With toyotas typically they attach at the car side not the door side so pull back the rubber and unplug the car side from the door side next figure out how the car side attaches to the car and pull it into the kick panel it should be barely long enough to plug back into the door side when you pull it through. Once you have reached this point you have a choice to make. You can either find some empty spots where there would be pins and get some pins from toyota and add them to both sides of the plug. Or if there is enough space you can drill a hole in the plug itself checking for clearance on both sides large enough to fit your wire through.
I appreciate it. I am actually considering drilling a couple of holes and making my own watertight boot using SO cord and some grommets.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.