PSI Audio amps

Really doesn't matter.   You really don't hear about any of these Korean amps blowing up from caps failing.

10 hours ago, Boomin_tahoe said:

man, yall are seriously hating on these things. Ive never owned a PSI anything, so im not nuthugging or displaying any kind of brand loyalty in the slightest. Maybe there is a reason theyre more expensive, maybe not. The amps sure do look cool esp for those going with a motif. Are they worth the price? I guess we wont find out from any of y'all because theyre too expensive.

This is $630 for 1500 watts https://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-2/item/sae-1500d

This is $280 on sale from 449 for 1500 watts https://www.wolframaudio.com/collections/amplifiers/products/w-1500-1

you guys have already bashed DC for its price per watt. I guess nobody should consider it because you guys are mad at the cost per watt...

man, yall are seriously hating on these things. Ive never owned a PSI anything, so im not nuthugging or displaying any kind of brand loyalty in the slightest. Maybe there is a reason theyre more expensive, maybe not. The amps sure do look cool esp for those going with a motif. Are they worth the price? I guess we wont find out from any of y'all because theyre too expensive.

This is $630 for 1500 watts https://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-2/item/sae-1500d

This is $280 on sale from 449 for 1500 watts https://www.wolframaudio.com/collections/amplifiers/products/w-1500-1

you guys have already bashed DC for its price per watt. I guess nobody should consider it because you guys are mad at the cost per watt... 
Go out and buy one if you want, but the only thing extra money buys you with these Korean board amps is a logo and whatever customer service you may or may not get from whomever is having that brand name stamped on the heatsink.    

At this point if anybody is trying to buy a new Korean amp there's very little separating one from another besides price.

Car audio is funny when a lot of other products and other categories start getting a lot of competition (yeti, led tvs, digital cameras etc etc) Most companies lower their prices to be more competitive where as cardio companies like sundown an DC raise their prices Why because they think they the cats pajamas 

Go out and buy one if you want, but the only thing extra money buys you with these Korean board amps is a logo and whatever customer service you may or may not get from whomever is having that brand name stamped on the heatsink.    

At this point if anybody is trying to buy a new Korean amp there's very little separating one from another besides price.
im happy with my SQ2200.1 nad the bevy of other amps i have, im just surprised that y'all are bashing these guys new line, even if its Korean and very similar to other brands offerings. But i will mention the rockville that you guys tore apart a few weeks ago and its also made by a Korean build house in the same manner. If PSI asks zenon to build it better than the stuff from say, twisted sounds etc etc then it might be worth it to whoever is in the market. I dunno, it just seems like a lot of "this is a ripoff" when nobody we know of has bought one nor used one

Last edited by a moderator:
 Car audio is funny when a lot of other products and other categories start getting a lot of competition (yeti, led tvs, digital cameras etc etc) Most companies lower their prices to be more competitive where as cardio companies like sundown an DC raise their prices Why because they think they the cats pajamas 
To be fair, it's an entirely different business model.   I don't think just anybody can call up Korea and buy a 50" OLED high def... or at least the minimum order will be quite large.  

With these amps the barrier of entry is so low that basically anybody with 20,000$ in cash, credit or a loan from a family member can become a new "brand", and that's with zero overhead.  Many of these "brands" don't even have a website but start out on social media.  What sets them apart?  Being super cheap.   Many of them fail because they fail to realize the actual cost of selling these things and price themselves too low and/or can't raise their prices down the road to become really profitable and grow. 

When Sundown was just Jacob running out of his garage his only expense was just doing really well with customer service (warrantying pretty much anything).  Now with a huge facility and 20+ employees AND having to leave enough room for brick and mortar or other distribution channels to make a cut the prices pretty much need to be what they are to turn the same profit as him in his garage selling amps for 15-20% over his cost from Korea.    At this point they should be considered more a commodity from a business point of view (like corn or tomatoes).   The fancy supermarket can, will, and must sell that tomato for 3$ a pound while the farm stand under a tent can sell it for 1.50$

If PSI asks zenon to build it better than the stuff from say, twisted sounds etc etc
And if my uncle had a **** he would be my aunt.  I've seen this argument posted here for years and nobody can ever show where the difference in price or performance is comparing components or on the meter/scope.  Putting stickers on caps and having a pink board is cute but I doubt it buys you any performance gains and you, me, or anybody else who wanted to shell out 10-15 grand could call up Korea and buy a pallet load of the exact same thing with whatever sticker we liked on the caps.

And if my uncle had a **** he would be my aunt.  I've seen this argument posted here for years and nobody can ever show where the difference in price or performance is comparing components or on the meter/scope.  Putting stickers on caps and having a pink board is cute but I doubt it buys you any performance gains and you, me, or anybody else who wanted to shell out 10-15 grand could call up Korea and buy a pallet load of the exact same thing with whatever sticker we liked on the caps.
thats what im saying too tho. we dont know if its better or a SoundQubed clone. Meh, im not here to argue, i just like sharing new toys for people to consider. yes, theyre more costly per watt, but if theyre built at a higher spec, then cool. if not, then theyre for those who want pretty stickers. BigDWiz, can you chime in and talk about what you saw when inspecting the guts? Are the components better or the same as other brands?

thats what im saying too tho. we dont know if its better or a SoundQubed clone. Meh, im not here to argue, i just like sharing new toys for people to consider. yes, theyre more costly per watt, but if theyre built at a higher spec, then cool. if not, then theyre for those who want pretty stickers. BigDWiz, can you chime in and talk about what you saw when inspecting the guts? Are the components better or the same as other brands?
I don't think Derek is a member on this board, I think I've seen him on SMD.   I'll say now what I've said the last 10 years about these cookie cutter Far East amps, until someone actually shows otherwise on the meter/clamp they're all identical plus or minus tolerance differences in components. 

The point is this is sort of "new" but nothing exciting.  It's not an exciting price (like Wolfram), they're not under-rated like Twisted (not that it even matters anymore with more and more orgs using clamped power classes), and they're not even unusual tooling like the stacked board EMF or IA offerings.  They're certainly not unique circuits like the Brazilian full bridge designs or the companies who actually do their own R&D.  They really are just the newest thing that are the exact same as the last new thing.

The high price probably just reflects that he is already an established name in the business and he is savvy enough to understand how to price re-badged cookie cutter Chinese electronics.  

I don't think Derek is a member on this board, I think I've seen him on SMD.   I'll say now what I've said the last 10 years about these cookie cutter Far East amps, until someone actually shows otherwise on the meter/clamp they're all identical plus or minus tolerance differences in components. 

The point is this is sort of "new" but nothing exciting.  It's not an exciting price (like Wolfram), they're not under-rated like Twisted (not that it even matters anymore with more and more orgs using clamped power classes), and they're not even unusual tooling like the stacked board EMF or IA offerings.  They're certainly not unique circuits like the Brazilian full bridge designs or the companies who actually do their own R&D.  They really are just the newest thing that are the exact same as the last new thing.

The high price probably just reflects that he is already an established name in the business and he is savvy enough to understand how to price re-badged cookie cutter Chinese electronics.  
thats all fair to say, but its like you said, id like to see what its like in real world use. I guess i can message Derek on FB and see what his thoughts are.  Iknow he is a member on the SMD forum, but rarely posts there. @bigblank69 do you plan on putting any of these thru some abuse?

also, what is IA? Also also, id love to see what an EMF Ermagerd sub does seeing as how they are $2400 :D

edit: nvm, IA is incriminator audio, jah?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since those 3 amps are "new" to PSI, I'd expect a high price for them, or rather to us, the consumer. Give it time, maybe they will drop in price.

Since those 3 amps are "new" to PSI, I'd expect a high price for them, or rather to us, the consumer. Give it time, maybe they will drop in price.
They’re going to have to drop in price because unless they planned on lower production and sales. Some company’s want to sell fewer product at a higher price and some want to sell a lot at a lower price I’m sure they did their research. 

They’re going to have to drop in price because unless they planned on lower production and sales. Some company’s want to sell fewer product at a higher price and some want to sell a lot at a lower price I’m sure they did their research. 
That's up to them if they feel the need to drop the price, depending upon demand, supply and inventory as well as competiveness vs. other brands.

As for a more complete thought on PSI amps.... Well they are a generic amp... With a pink logo and stickers. They may have bought a upgraded series... With all of these off the shelf buys, my suggestion is to just find one with the best customer service to price quotient and go with them. 

As for a more complete thought on PSI amps.... Well they are a generic amp... With a pink logo and stickers. They may have bought a upgraded series... With all of these off the shelf buys, my suggestion is to just find one with the best customer service to price quotient and go with them. 
Marketing. Then sprinkle some fairy dust on it pretty it up a little in hoes it sells.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.