Why Do Mono Amps Have A Red & White Input

Participant count
  • Participant list

USMCsilver

CarAudio.com Newbie
As I understand it, when I tap into the left rear speaker wire of my factory headunit's HI speaker inputs, and I connect that to a single side of a RCA cable, that is just 1 channel, say the RED RCA.

If I were to tap into the right - then I would hook that up to the WHITE RCA.

Then, I would plug those into  the red/white inputs of a MONO amp...but that would be a STEREO signal going in, right?

Here is my dilemma - I have tapped into 1 wire.  I am using a Kicker KISLOC hi-level RCA converter.  I utilized 1 channel of the 2 channels available on the converter, so I simply hooked up to the white and white/black wire going into the KISLOC (I left the brown +/- alone).  Coming out of the converter, I plugged in 1 single RCA cable prong. I then plugged it into a single RCA prong on the Kicker amp.

The amp has an auto-on feature with a button for "HI or LO" level input.  It is not working with the auto-on function with the button in either position.  The amp works because I can put a jumper between power and remote and the amp works.

If I were to use the two positive wires on the KISLOC and hook them to the factory HI positive, and ditto with the negative, would my end result be any different?

the reason most mono amps have stereo inputs is because not all bass comes from the left or the right and the amp sums them into one channel internally. Yes, most bass is mono from the source, but not all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.