Protecting your equipment using standard locks

SaturnScott
10+ year member

Canada
I'm installing my first system. I don't have tinted windows, I don't have an alarm. My car isn't extremely "showy", but I do like to play my music loud... and that will catch people's attention.

So, instead of spending big money on an alarm, I was thinking of rigging up a lock system for my sub, amp and deck, using traditional locks with chains. Now, it may look horrible, but it just might work.

This is my idea: for the sub box, I will attack two hooks in it along the top somewhere. I will run a chain from each hook to the roof of the trunk, leaving enough slack so that when the trunk opens it won't pull on the box.

As far as the deck and amp, I don't know what I'm going to do. Any ideas? Anybody else done this? It's a lot cheaper, and may work...

Forget the whole chain deal, do you want to hear those chains rattling around constantly, or have to take them off and put them back on again and again. The best advice I can give is bolt your box and amp down. You said you don't have tinted windows? Not a problem, hide all your wires under the carpet. I'm not sure whether you have a detachable face, but if you do always take it off. Other than that, as long as you don't have a hatchback, that should help somewhat. If you spent a lot of money on your system, then I would suggest spending a little more and get an alarm.

play my music loud... and that will catch people's attention
You'd be suprised, but what I have found is that a lot of times when your car gets broken into and car audio equipment is stolen: it's usually someone you know. They have seen your system, they know what they want, and they know how to get it.

Phatillusion.......that's true. It's mostly the people that you know who steal the systems. I know alot of people who have had their systems stolen......most were stolen right from their driveways. Pop the trunk lock and the box is yours......not too much noise either. But unless you're drivin' a really unique(tricked out) ride, only the people who know you know where to find your car. (generally)

THE WAY MINE IS SET UP IS THAT I HAVE THE STANDARD ALARM BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS MY ALARM GOES OFF WHEN MY TRUNCK IS OPEN BUT ALONG WITH THAT I HAVE A BIKE LOCK NOT A CHAIN LOCKING DOWN MY TRUNCK SO WHEN ITS OPEN IT ONLY GOES SO FAR SO NOW MY TRUNCK ALARM IS GOING OFF WHILE THE THEFT IS TRYING TO GET PASS THE BIKE LOCK ON MY TRUNCK AND IF HE GETS PASS ALL OF THIS I HAVE MY SUB BOX BOLTED IN THE TRUNCK AND IF HE GETS PASS ALL OF THIS THEN HE DESERVES TO HAVE IT ALL.

Yea most of the people I know that have had their stuff jacked was by people the knew, or had been showing the system of too. One friend was showing his system off to a bunch of guys. Well, one of those guys followed him home and took his stuff sometime during the night. It wasn't too hard once he knew where everythign was, and that none of it was bolted down. Heck get one of those little flashing LEDs that imitates and alarm if you dont want to get an alarm. That might ward of some people, or get you car kicked a lot to see if it has an alarm lol. Good Luck

Another thing I might add is that alarms aren't everything they are cracked up to be, if you are gonna get an alarm make sure it has an "insurance policy" with it that will cover your systems cost. An alarm can prevent some of your average smash the glass and run crooks, but more and more crooks are becoming more technologically advanced. Just let me put it this way, it's not hard to disconnect the wire that sounds the siren.

another idea several of my friends used when we were in high school and money was tight is to get a blinking led and put it in the dash. The thieves always go for the easiest target. Quick in and quick out. your car as of now is a perfect target and if you chain your equipment down all you are gonna do is piss the thief off which will move him to just destroy everything if he can't have it neither can you. So stolen or destroyed is the same. You need to deter and an led or an all together alarm will help.

oops I forgot when you get to the alarm level multiple sirens in 2 different locations along with battery back ups is a smart idea as well

Here is the bottom line. I have met people who unfortunately can get into someone's car in under a minute. Alarms, The Club, tints, and wheel locks are just deterents. If they want it bad enough they will get it. The more elaborate the alarm (i.e. electrifying the driver's seat when alarm sounds, pepper spray through the A/C vents) are some cool toys but cost a lot of money. Just lock your doors and dont show off, especially around people you dont know, cant trust or are shadey. Just my advice.

speaking as someone who has had their stuff jacked recently, the most important thing is how stealth your system is. is anything easily visible from the outside? got any decals telling everybody that you have cool stuff in your ride? all bad ideas. for me, i've resorted to a viper alarm with a pager, and a glock with hollow points....

Well, really, the only thing that says "showy" on my car is a "speedoptions" decal, and a set of rims.

But, after thinking about it more, I'm not gonna go for the chains. What I was thinking is sealing my trunk using two locks that will lock the back seats from unfolding. That way, the only way to get into my system (other than my deck) is via the trunk.

The problem is, I'm heading off to University this year, and my car will be parked outside all the time -- the perfect opportunity for thieves.

I was considering getting one of those flashing LED lights, except that car audio stores sell them, and anybody who is into stealing car audio most likely has seen them before and know that they are just an imitation. It may be worth it, may not be... either way, I know there is no possible way to prevent a theft.

I guess that's just part of owning equipment that is more expensive than what some people can afford...

Oh, secondly, and this is really stupid, but how do I know if my deck has a detachable face? I own a Pioneer DEH-1000, and it said nothing about it, so most likely not.

Would the regular face of the deck flip down or something? I can remove an outer plastic, which runs just along all sides of the "main" deck. It's just a rectangular plastic.

If your deck has a detachable face then there would be a release button near one of the corners of the face. As for the security minded installation, what I did was rebuild the trunk floor out of 3/4 MDF. I then bolted that down to the trunk floor and screwed my box down in multiple places from the inside of the box and then used L shaped brackets on all 4 corners of the box to screw it down more. Although it could be pried out, it was mighty sturdy. I also cut out a trap door with hinges so my spare tire compartment was still accessable.

I am writing this in reply to the dude that was talking about puting a blinking LED in the dash. Now i think that is a good idea but what you said about how if you bolt or chain ur stuff down that it is no good cause they will just wreck all ur stuff... An yes i do agree with you as they probably will,,,,, except that would just draw more attention to them. and i would rather that a dude breaks my amps and subs instead of the bastard acctually getting the stuff. If everyone bolted the stuff down they would get pretty tired of wasting their time and risking jail time for it

just my 3 cents

ok...........

1. I personally dont like limo tints as they attract attention - hey look, the mans got tints, whats he tryina hide? I have special anti-smash-and-grab film, which is clear on all windows except the front and you cant smash the glass with anything but a shotgun - we did a test on a window and used a baseball bat, tennis racket (now broken!!!!) and a claw hammer. It withstood over 5 minutes of continuous pounding before a small hole appeared, size of a quarter cauxsed by the hammer. it good sh*t.

2. V.difficult to hold off this one, but try not2play your sysrtem just before you park up somewhere as it attarcts attention. My friend parked up near a park and we went to shoot sum hoops. Came back and you know what happened...............all gone!!!!!! If he hadnt played it within the last 10mins, he may still have it2day.

3. Alarm - get 1. If you have no alarm, its the easiest opportunity for a thief. A good, cliffor or code will save your ass anytime sumbody wants to take a shot at your car.

4. Delock all doors

5. Deadlock and delock boot - now try and open it. Pain in the ass when something goes wrong, but I did it with my cabriolet and had no problems.

6. Dont have stickers advertising yor sh*t - I c a lot of Audiobahn, Orion, Pioneer etc. - its an advert for what equipment you have from a mile away - dont do it - stealth is the name of the game.

7. I THINK THAT A GOOD ALARM AND IMMOBILIUSER IS VITAL. ITS A LIFE LINE AND OUT OF EVERYTHING MENTIONED SO FAR, 4ME ANYWAY, ITS A PRIORITY. I GOT MY ALARM FITTE DB4 I EVEN SAVED 4 MY 1ST SYSTEM. A TRICK I LEARNT IS LETS SAY YOR BUDDY HAS A CODE AKLRM AND U HAVE A CLIFFORD. INSTEAD OF YOR BUDDY PUTTING THE STICKERS ON THE WINDOW THAT CAME WITH HIS ALOARM, TELL HIM TO SWAP, SO YOU WILL BE DRIVING ROUND WITH CODE STICKEES WHEN U HAVE ACLIFFORD AND HELL BE RIDIN AROUND WITH CLIFFORD STICKERS EVEN THOUGH IT AINT, ITS ACODE - WILL CONFUSE THE F88K OUTTA ANY THIEVING PIECEASH8T.

8. If all else fails, move to a different hood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.