green_slip

Participant count
  • Participant list

AustinKP
10+ year member

President of the World
Utah
Hey Austin,

This was too long for a PM, so I'll just put it here.

Don't have time to make a full walkthrough right now, but here's a quick list of the stuff you'll need to make some speaker pods.

MDF or birch plywood- to make your speaker mounting ring. Thickness is up to you. I used 1/4" to make it easier to flush mount the ring

Lighweight fleece, grill cloth, t-shirt... for the primary shape

Hot glue gun - to hold the fleece/MDF ring/supports in place

Fiberglass mat or weave - I used about 6 ft^2 to get 3 layers thick. I know you can get some at Jones paint and glass in Provo. Can't remember the price, but I don't think it was TOO bad. Might find it cheaper elsewhere(auto body shop or something). I got mine free from school since it was for a final project.

Fiberglass resin - also from Jones Paint and Glass. It was like $15 for a quart. I used the whole thing.

Body filler. Some like Rage Gold or something like that. I just used some body filler that I got from Jones that sets up in 5-10 minutes. It worked great. You can actually borrow some if you want. I have tons left.

Sandpaper - 60 or 80 grit. If you're going to paint w/ something glossy, you'll want like 200 and 600 grit as well. If you'll be doing a texture paint like I did, 80 will be all you need.

Rubber gloves - 10 pairs or so.

Bolts and T-nuts(lowes/home depot) or hurricane nuts (preferable from partsexpress.com)

Paint/vinyl/whatever you're going to finish it with

Unless you're crazy like me, you'll also want a respirator to keep from getting a big headache, unless you're in a well-ventilated room.

Jig saw, dremel, drill

Think that's about everything. Lemme know if you think I forgot something or have any other questions.

-Austin

tried calling you twice at like 4 and 4:30pm...

I'd have left a message, but no answer.

I've got time tonight if you want to meet up and I can show you how I did that fiberglass.

Gimme a call

-Austin

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AustinKP

10+ year member
President of the World
AustinKP
Utah
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date