Problem with Sub not getting enough power??????

UNDERGROUND_BUM
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
HAWAII
Ok so i got a 12" mag powered by a kicker kx 1200.1 and all of a sudden when i was listening to ( i wanna **** you-akon. ft snoop) i noticed that at about volume 30 it seems to miss bass lines and so on. i set my gain correctly at volume 30 using a volt meter. What could the problem be? i just recently put a new head unit in, and a amp for my polk momos ( which by the way are hissing ). somebody help me im so frustrated:mad://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif:mad://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

What kind of box is the Mag in? (sealed/ported) Check the crossovers on the amp.

Hissing speakers if hooked up to an amp, generally shows that the amp gains/crossovers are set wrong.

ported box for my mag its strange cause it does it sometimes and somtimes it does not..........
wat?

what impedance is the sub wired to and where are your low pass settings set to.

the bass you are trying to reach could be mid bass. another thing is not all songs get stupid loud like others. of course they will have the same frequencies like other songs but the volume tone of the frequency may not be as high as another song.

Did you reset the gains after installing the new headunit? You could be clipping the crap outta the sub if your new HU has double the line out of the old.

I would go with the standard 2 for this type of situation.

1. Check your grounds (clean the connections remove and try another location)

2. Recheck the gains with a DMM

Also, you may want to check that some of the wires are not loose in the box (it is a pain, but worth checking). Also, while the sub is out of the box, check the voice coils with the DMM. Make sure something didn't get fried.

my lowpass is set correctly about 80 hz........

my head unit preout put havnt changed, got the exact same head unit as before ( something wrong with screen) so changing gain shouldnt be an issue. any other input? i'll try to check my grounds towmarrow for my sub amp and possibly take sub out of box if all else fails.

is it possible that mabey the extra 25a fuse draw from my component amp is causing too much of a current draw in total causing the sub to stall out or miss beats when turned up??? anyone else have a problem like this or am i the only one??

check your grounds to make sure everything is good, you shouldnt get getting voltage drops to 10, thats really dangerous for the amp

it dosnt go into protect mode....... its a kicker kx 1200.1 could it be my alternator is not powerful enough for it ? will the big 3 help????

i have a 110A alternator and am running a hifonics bxi2006d with only a yellowtop up front and 0 gauge wire. what size wire are you running to the amp?

honestly if i was you id be running 0 gauge to that kx1200.1 if i remember correctly with a good electrical they are rated for around 1500 rms. when i first put my amp in i had only 4 gauge and i had voltage drops down to 12.0, when i ran another 4 gauge wire with it to the same amp i it still dropped to 13.4, and now that i have 0 gauge it stays around 13.5-13.9 mostly. i would check that because you dont want to fry your amp, just cause it doesnt go into protect doesnt mean it wont blow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.