Problem with new install: static

SubaruFlamingo
10+ year member

So I just had a shop install a new CDA-9856, 5.25" memphis m class components, and a 4 channel x 75 rms memphis amp. The install looks very good, and they hooked up my extra two channels to my stock rear speakers (until I get a subwoofer) and made sure to tune it so they wouldnt blow em out. Anyways, I got home and started playing around with it (the ipod full speed is SO cool) but I noticed that 99% of the time there is a slight staticy noise in the background. I didnt know if it could just be the signal the ipod was sending to the HU, so I popped in a CD-R and it did the same thing. Now I dont think its the quality of the MP3 files since they sound fine on my $300 mini system at home, so I'd hope this $1000 set up in my car can sound better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I obviously will bring it back to the shop and see what they say about the slight static sound, but I dont think im being too picky?

I'd suggest you take it back to them and tell them your problem, let them listen to what it sounds like.

My only guess would be some sort of interference, alternator whine (does it change pitch when you rev the engine...does it do this when the vehicle is off...like in ACC), or they might have put the DC/DC converter too close to the unit.

Check it out. Let us know how it goes.

nG

Well i just took it into the shop after losing ALL sound while I was playing around with it (didnt end up adjusting the input level), turned out a blew a fuse, so they replaced that and I had sound again. I let them listen and it was very audible at low levels for both CD/Ipod and FM so it wasnt a recording issue. They said they wanted to put in a filter and that the sound could be coming from materials used in the car I think, but they didnt have time today (they wanted enough time so if the filter didnt work, they could try to figure out the problem) so Im bringing it back tuesday.

Update:

Shop checked it all out and said they put in some more expensive RCA cables, yet the noise still is still heard at lower volumes (seems like its only coming from the tweeters). The shop says they are out of ideas other than swapping the Memphis tweeters with another brand, which is what I'm planning on having them do (unfortunatly requires taking apart the door panel which takes some time). If worst comes to worst and I'm stuck with the noise it wont be the end of the world, since it is only hearable when the music is quiet... but still after paying 1k I would like a quality system.

05civic05 - I will def ask them to try that before they try diff tweets.

About 400 for the 75w x 4 amp, 300 for the speakers, and 200 for the HU, and then parts and installation. But please spare me the "OMG R U SERIOUS?!!?!?!? if you bought that **** over the internet you could have had it for SO much cheaper." I realize I paid a few hundred more than I could have, but I wanted to for this exact reason, for when something goes wrong. Now back on topic //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif , would it be plausible that a new set of tweeters could just be defective?

it kinda sounds like there running your rcas with your power wire. that will give you signal noise. you should have them run the rca and remote on one side of the car and the power wire on the other side.

it kinda sounds like there running your rcas with your power wire. that will give you signal noise. you should have them run the rca and remote on one side of the car and the power wire on the other side.
thats not true. you can run them together with no ill effects.

I'd have them check the connections on the crossovers for the components. It sounds like there might be a wrong connection there. Its the only place that you didn't say that they tried.

Completely and utterly incorrect.

nG

Its like a low crackling, and its not constant, it seems to be abound when the tweeters are actually trying to play something, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be a problem with the tweeter itself if the crackling only comes through when the tweeters is reproducing the signal? It's hard to tell with everything connected, but the rear speakers and the mid-range fronts dont seem to have that problem.

I will ask the shop to try to just play music through the front mids and then just the tweets to see if its definetly the tweets that are the problem before they have to try swapping them with other tweets.

I'm not totally familiar with the workings of speaker crossovers but what you are saying sounds logical, so I'll ask them about that too (although you'd think they would have tried that?).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.