problem with ddcs6.5 mids...

n8te81
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I bought these comps about a week ago and have been running them off deck power and they have sounded pretty decent.I finally got the DD dealer here in town to put my 4channel in and I must say the diff was amazing have a 100rms on each side.About 4 hours later though on my way home the passenger side mid blew,I dont know if i didnt let them break in or maybe the mid was just bad.I dont know what to do now cause i thought the specs were 125rms fine all day on these.Any help or info would be great...

sounds like the amp gain was set wrong and the speakers signals were clipped till the vc fried....i'm running a DD SS3 on a pair 180rms x2 for about 3 months now with no issues....they actually sound better now...since they have broken in....but i could blow them or any other brand for that matter in about 10minutes or less if i clip the shiit out of them...

Gains were half way up but maybe they should have been lowered a bit...I know that the signal on the deck was far from being clipped so im not sure.I dont know alot about it but i didnt have the gains blasting like alot of ppl would.

Gains were half way up but maybe they should have been lowered a bit...I know that the signal on the deck was far from being clipped so im not sure.I dont know alot about it but i didnt have the gains blasting like alot of ppl would.
Having the gain at half could be clipping the signal depending on you HU and how high you normally have it turned up.

When i think about my old system now in my honda i did the test tone and the clipping point on my HU and when i listened to my music my pio was about 45/55 turned up and when they put the speakers in my Z and the amp the volume was just as loud at like 15/55 so now im thinking that at halfway the gains were still turned up too much.

Best way to do it is start with gains all the way down, and HU up to where it'll still sound clean, then just slowly start turning up your gains until you get the loudness you want to run into problems with distortion/overdriving.

Yeah thats what i need to do_Only problem i think with those comps is that the time that the mid blew there was no distortion at the time and i thought there would be.I do need to turn the gains pretty much all the way down though when i get another mid.I might try and get some german mids now but im not sure they will fit...might be too deep.

^^^ DD should warranty that mid for you.

make sure you have a high pass filter on.

so you have a 4 channel amp to a pair of front comps?

is the amp bridged? or do you have rear speakers as well?

4 channel amp was to the comps and rear fill.Ive been talking to DD and they were talking about maybe letting me upgrade to germans but i didnt know germans had to be active and i dont think i have the power to push them so i think im just gonna stick with the same mids...sound nice though i just had the gains up too far,should have seen that in the start i guess.But then again i could have been someone that didnt know anything about amps and where the installer put the gains they still would have blown.

Wow your story sounds very much like mine. Bought DDC6.5's installed by a dealer 2 days later boom tweets blow.. Went back got them replaced next day mids blow..... This time they would not replace but at that point I was done with DD anyways. I think its there cheap *** crossovers they include in the sets.. Been running my DDT's (only thing left from the comp set) for well over 9months on some quality hertz crossovers and not 1 single issue.. Just a thought.

So should I see how it turns out when I get the mid fixed and the gains tuned? Or should I maybe see about better xovers or maybe even mids?

Passive crossovers only filter out lower frequencys from going to the tweeter through resistance, so really your amp still sets your midbasses crossover.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.