Problem w/speakers or crossover?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Phrozt
10+ year member

The Drunken Snowman
Decatur, IL
So I thought one of my speakers blew (which would ****, because I bought them BRAND new and have had them installed for only about 2 months), but something else happened the other day that might make me think different.

To start, they were making a very metallic rattle when certain lows hit (I'm talking about my 60.5cs midrange comps BTW). I turned down the volume, and they were ok..

however, recently, I tried this, and they were not hitting the metallic rattle often, because I had the volume low, but when it *did* hit the level, it just kept on rattling... It was a constant rattle/vibration that had nothing to do w/the beat of the song whatsoever. Only way to kill it was to turn the HU to standby. Turning the volume up or down after it started this constant rattle had absolutely no effect on the volume of the rattle or the consistancy. I turned the volume all the way to 0 and it was still rattling just as loud and just as constant.

Is this a prob w/the speaker or the crossover?? Something else maybe?

Extra info:

I've taken the speaker out and manually inspected it and it *looks* fine...

The cone is completely connected to the spider all the way around, and the glue looks intact...

Assuming this is happening to only a single speaker.....swap the speakers to the other side. Does the sound follow the speaker to the opposite side of the car, or stay on one consistent side? Then swap the crossovers to the opposite sides, does the problem follow the crossovers or stay on one consistent side?

That will answer your question as to where the problem lies.

very true... guess I didn't think about that...

I can troubleshoot a computer, but I'm new to the "common sense" of the audio world...

Wasn't the speaker or the crossover.. it was the battery.

Replaced it w/an optima red top and I'm good to go.

However, I do believe some damage was sustained, because at very high volumes, the speaker in question still craps out ion the same way, though not continuous

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.