Problem installing alpine HU.

Jt321
10+ year member

Tonight i went to circuit city and bought the install kit,wire harness, and antenna adapter. I got home and hooked the harness up by crimping all the wires together where they belong (i.e purple to purple, gray to gray, etc.). I plugged both ends in and no power. The hu wont even turn on. So then i plug the stock radio back in and it works fine. So i tried messing around with the constant power, and the ignition power, but no luck. It is a Alpine cda-9815, anyone can help me out here? I might just take it somewhere and cough up $40 bux, if i cant figure this out.

Thx -John

1. do you know for a fact the HU works?

2. any fuses on it that might be open?

3. are your red, yellow, and black wires properly crimped?

4. are you sure you have the right harness?

2 things might be wrong. check the crimping and or the fuses for the radio. also...check to see if the power pin on either harness is loose or removed. this is a somewhat common problem. also...if you just bought the harnesses from Circuit City...they should be the smartharness, and there is no crimping involved...so that just sounds strange to me.

I rechecked all the crimping and it looks fine, The HU i bought brand new off of ebay, how would i check it it even works? Yea i got the wire harness and stuff at circuit city, its for an 03 gmc sierra, and they said it WILL work. There is only one fuse on the radio and its a 20 amp fuse, how would i know if this is a bad fuse?

If you look in a fuse you'll see a strip of metal inside. That's where the power goes through. When a fuse blows that strip is broken. Sometimes you can see some brown/black burn around the break.

You're making me nervous cause I just bought the CDA-9813 from circuit city bout the same time you bought your unit. I did not, however, buy the wiring harness and install gear yet. I'd offer advice but I am totally clueless as I have not attempted to install yet. Hope it works out for you. Please update with your success.

his fuse works. his factory radio worked when he plugged it in.

but, all i can say is that either ur red, yellow, and black wires r not connecting, or u bough a defective item from ebay.

I'd say your best bet to make sure that deck works is to find yourself a test bench. Small electronics repair shops have em, as do some audio shops. Paying a couple bucks to use a power supply is alot easier than trying to return something on Ebay.

Hook up 12v+ to the Red/Yellow, and ground to black. Try to turn it on, and if it did, you've just got a bad wiring job.

You're making me nervous cause I just bought the CDA-9813 from circuit city bout the same time you bought your unit. I did not, however, buy the wiring harness and install gear yet.
Buy two wiring harnesses. One goes to the Alpine, one goes to the car where your factory deck was plugged in, then the two connect together using Metra's universal plug/receptacle. No crimping, you can't screw it up.

Check the fuse on the HU, if its good, hook the HU directly to the battery (power and acc to the pos. terminal and ground the the neg. terminal)

so it's for the 03 GMC Sierra. i have a question for you, which harness did you get? the regular old harness, or the metra conversion box number gmrc01 or something like that for that truck? with the factory radio, did your door open chimes and stuff go through the doors, like did it beep and what not through door speakers, or from behind the dash? that is a big question. check the fuse first...but you might have bought the wrong harness...some roadshops aren't the smartest in the bunch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.