Pre-Made ported box ?

soziblewuup

Wolvo
Hi guys.

Everyone keeps telling me to build my own ported box, but i really do not have the expertise or the tools to do so.

Are pre-made boxes any good at all.

I have 2 JL Audio 12WX and was looking at this box.

http://www.audioassault.co.uk/Sub_Boxes/Economy_Sub_Boxes/T1_Audio_12"_Ported_Double_Sub_Box

Can any of you guys give me an idea. People have told me they sound a lot worse in these pre-made boxes, but how much worse for a casual listener ?

I'd rather buy that and it sound a little worse, as i can't make my own.

Thanks!

ensure that the box has the volume that your woofer requires.

Also you will want to seal the internal seams with caulk or wood glue for added strength and because most likely it didn't come sealed to begin with.

Its actually very easy to build your own, for under 100$ at home depot you can get a sheet of MDF "3\4s" thick and a elcheapo circular saw that will work + wood glue the nails and electric drill.

Hi jypsi. Building my own is out the question, i have no clue.

My woofer requires 12WX: 1.375 cu.ft.

Would that mean for two, 2.5 cu ft roughly. The box does not say how big it is ?

If the box doesn't say how big it is, don't buy the box. A pre-made box can work decently, if you can find the proper pre-made box. If you're not trying to compete or anything, chances are any box will give you the volume you want for casual listening, the frequency the box is tuned to will probably make more of a difference.

If you can get a box built for that price that'd actually be best. Hypothetically you could find a good prefab box that will match the specs they're gonna use, but chances are you won't. I've seen lots of places that want WAY more than that, but for 200 bucks it's worth it.

If you're running a sealed box though, prefab is generally okay.

prefab shouldnt be considered in any decent stereo system. have a local shop build you a nice box for around 200$
I honestly would feel better not getting this guy ripped off by talking him through it as apposed to him throwing 200$ at a shop to have them make him a 75$ box.

theres people are here that make custom boxes at pretty good prices. get in contact with one of them. I dont know if bjfisher is still on here but his boxes are very nice! I had one built from him and i couldnt be any more happier

If you are dead set on not building it yourself then so be it.

But you wont ever have 'the know how' to do it unless you try and learn, at least by doing this you will have a place to start at when building other boxes and who knows maybe your friends will come to you instead of 'joes audio' down the road.

If it was a sealed box i'd give it a go. But i want a ported box, and i wouldn't be able to get my head round tuning it to 33hz?

All the calculations confuse me lol

You could pay someone on here for a design. Then you just need to cut the pieces to the dimensions given to you and assemble. 10-15 bucks will save you all calculations as long as you don't consider measuring a calculation when it comes to measuring out the boards.

Looks like this guy is not in the US.

If you have a shop you like have them build you a box. As a rule prefabs are made cheep and they show it. We get them in from the local PS ready to fall apart.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.