pre fab vs custom

Participant count
  • Participant list
i have a delima car audio factory has a 12 sub box hook ported to 33 hrtz for 99, a custom box will cost 325 and the prefab has a lifetime warranty I have a powerbass 3xl that should be in vented tuned at 32hrtz
Hit up @csctang he can get it done for a lot less than 325 shipped

In my experience a high quality custom designed enclosure can make a massive improvement to the sound of your bass over a prefab. You want to minimize enclosure resonances, as that not only sounds bad but it's wasted power. That means using better wood, not just the right thickness for your application but a good density to reduce air leakage. If it has to be a fiberglass structure there can be big differences in quality there as well. Getting the port sized correctly for your needs, and yes I do think you should go ported over sealed unless your sub "needs" a sealed enclosure, is part of the correct enclosure design.

I went went with a prefab box for my f150 it leaks air the cutout is a general size and unfortunatly for me my screw mounts dont line up that well took alot of time to just get all the screws to hold and it still leaks. spend the money on a custom box, prefab chances are your not gonna be happy and your gonna be out the cost of the box and then purchase a good one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.