Power wire runs under the car?

tez4life
Premium Member

Premium Member
Mobile, Al
Their was a thread for this a while back, but for some reason everytime I search for it, the site freezes on me.... anyway, my question is, for those that have done it, did you use any kind of protection for the wire or just ran it?

It would honestly be soo easier for me to do this in my car instead of snaking it through the cabin, but im concerned about the wire getting wear under there. I though about getting some kind of condiut from Lowes to protect it, but would that really be nessary?

Only reason im asking is, that we get alot of rain here and I want to play it safe.

Any input is helpful, thanks.

If u do plan on running under the car it's best to use some kind of waterproof conduit and a heat cover for it also(depending on where u plan on running the wire). I would never run wire under a car not covered, that's just asking for trouble. The wire for the most part would be fine, until it corodes from everyday driving or it gets torn from something hitting it and then water gets into contact w/ a live wire.

I suggest just snaking it you will be happier knowing that you dont have to worry about it. An if you do i would def get something to protect it. If i not mistaken you can get road noise from running the wire under the car but this may not be true some guy told me this when i first started out and i just run inside car from then on

just make sure it's tucked up high enough that it doesn't get pinched, like if you bottom the car out to the frame or whatever, and make sure you fuse it in the front and back if you have a rear battery. I've run mine underneath for over a year now with no problems.

just zip tie it with quality zip ties along the frame rail. Just follow the brake lines from the hood area towards the back. I zip tied mine into the same brakets as the brake lines use. and then used zip ties inbetween that as well. been 2 years, no nicks or anything. Fuses are good as suggested, and also, make sure it is tite and not able to vibrate against metal that could chew thru the jacket.

I doubt the truck will run long enough to worry about corrosion... Unless you going to be running through the woods I wouldnt worry about anything grabbing it. Unless your worried about some sharp ass rock coming up under your truck and hitting your wire just right to rip a hole big enough in the wire for it to spin around and hit you frame?

-I am w. majority, run the **** with zipties, its a wrap

Sometimes you just can't run big wire under the carpet, so it's either above the carpet, or under the chassis, you pick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Hey Tez, I ran mine under my car. 1999 grand marquis. I ran it along the passenger side frame, and then up through the port hole. Just use a ton of zip ties.

Also, I know what thread you are searching for, and I will find it.

Sorry about the delay fellas, just getting off from work //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I could run it inside my car, but after a recent accident, I had a major wiring harness under the hood replaced, and its causing a bit of ground noise in the system. Im hoping by isolating the power and ground completly away from the rest of the wires in my system, it will help with the problem.

Not to mention, my trunk has (2) factory plugs which the wire can be easly snaked in.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well, based on the responses, its settled, thanks everyone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.