Power solution? Upgrade battery or get HO alternator

heimsothe

Dec 25, 2013
Portland, OR
My car is an 06 Mazda 3, with the stock 90 amp alt. I am looking to upgrade my subs from two Type S 12's to two Type R 12's and and running 2000w rms @ 1 ohm with a soundqubed q1-2200d. The thing is I'm nervous that with how my car is currently setup it may not run that safely or properly, so my question is what should I upgrade? Would just upgrading my battery to something nicer like a yellow top or some other quality battery work? Or do I totally need to get a HO alt. I eventually plan on getting a HO alt but if I could just go for a better battery for now that'd be great budget wise. I've looked around and seen people who say battery, and people who say alt, and some who say dual battteries. I just wanted to know for my situation specifically. Let me know what you think!

Thank you

d77543020

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Dec 29, 2005
stockton ca
in for responses im in the same boat i can add a XS Power D5100 for 250 or buy a alt for 3k rms lowest i drop with a small hc600 12.5

CSCStang

Enclosurist
Mar 24, 2014
OC, Ca
My car is an 06 Mazda 3, with the stock 90 amp alt. I am looking to upgrade my subs from two Type S 12's to two Type R 12's and and running 2000w rms @ 1 ohm with a soundqubed q1-2200d. The thing is I'm nervous that with how my car is currently setup it may not run that safely or properly, so my question is what should I upgrade? Would just upgrading my battery to something nicer like a yellow top or some other quality battery work? Or do I totally need to get a HO alt. I eventually plan on getting a HO alt but if I could just go for a better battery for now that'd be great budget wise. I've looked around and seen people who say battery, and people who say alt, and some who say dual battteries. I just wanted to know for my situation specifically. Let me know what you think!
Thank you
If you're looking into the newer r's, just know that they are having serious problems with them coming unglued. Do you have the big 3? General rule is 1000rms to 70amps. You'll be pushing that alt a lot, even with 2 batts.

OP
heimsothe

heimsothe

Dec 25, 2013
Portland, OR
If you're looking into the newer r's, just know that they are having serious problems with them coming unglued. Do you have the big 3? General rule is 1000rms to 70amps. You'll be pushing that alt a lot, even with 2 batts.
I'm looking at the ones that they sell now on sonic electronix and crutchfield and such. The Swr-12d4. Yes I have done big 3, so you would say get a ho alt and then eventually add a second batt?

CSCStang

Enclosurist
Mar 24, 2014
OC, Ca
I'm looking at the ones that they sell now on sonic electronix and crutchfield and such. The Swr-12d4. Yes I have done big 3, so you would say get a ho alt and then eventually add a second batt?
Yes and yes. Btw, Crutchfield is very pricey and I'm having issues with Sonic right now, so until they resolve the issue I can't recommend them at all.

OP
heimsothe

heimsothe

Dec 25, 2013
Portland, OR
Any other thoughts guys?

Yes and yes. Btw, Crutchfield is very pricey and I'm having issues with Sonic right now, so until they resolve the issue I can't recommend them at all.
Thanks for the info! What sub would you recommend that could match the Type R's as well as remain in the same price range?

CSCStang

Enclosurist
Mar 24, 2014
OC, Ca
Any other thoughts guys?
Thanks for the info! What sub would you recommend that could match the Type R's as well as remain in the same price range?
You running ported or sealed?

CSCStang

Enclosurist
Mar 24, 2014
OC, Ca
I plan on running sealed for now, mostly for space reasons
Evert thought about 2 10's? I just went from 2 sws12's (in sealed) to 2 10's in a ported and it made a world of difference.

OP
heimsothe

heimsothe

Dec 25, 2013
Portland, OR
I really do like 12s. My big problem now is where the hell do I find a HO alt for a mazda 3.... its seems impossible to find one! Would mechman or someone be able to make me one and how much would it cost? I figure I'd probably want around a 150 amp alt

UGHH

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 29, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Evert thought about 2 10's? I just went from 2 sws12's (in sealed) to 2 10's in a ported and it made a world of difference.
^^^This^^^

Even 2 8s in a ported box may be louder than 12s sealed. Ported is the way to go.

denim

SSAudio.com
Pro Seller
10+ year member
Oct 16, 2002
SSA HQ East
SSA audio sells mechman alts and XS power batteries.
Recently dealt with them, amazing customer service.
Thank you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds