Power and sound quality?

Just for shits, I'm gonna throw another variable to argue:
For those of us that indeed don't really have the ear of the gods, is there a discernible difference between class d 4-channel amp and the stereotypical class a/b? Is there there a decent class d 4 channel amp that can do what an a/b can? Does the same argument from above in regards to amplifying signal apply here?
Not going to argue again. Instead I will reference the real world.

Highest scoring car in history. Used Class D. PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - The Doctor Is In: Scott Buwalda's 2003 Infiniti G35

Scott used McIntosh amps before. He can use whatever he wants.

For those of us that indeed don't really have the ear of the gods, is there a discernible difference between class d 4-channel amp and the stereotypical class a/b? Is there there a decent class d 4 channel amp that can do what an a/b can? Does the same argument from above in regards to amplifying signal apply here?
Is there there a decent class d 4 channel amp that can do what an a/b can?

To answer your question. Look no further.

This amp is beyond of the term decent. Take a look at the Mmats HiFi 4250D

This particular amp is made a bit different from there 6 channel. It rivals just about anything out there from a/b, High quality sq amps you name it.. The switching devices are Toshiba, proprietary Mmats pieces made by Toshiba for Mmats, or Mmats are supposedly the only amps in the world that use these.

The switching (OUTPUT) devices look identical to the ones in the Linear Power DPS350 or the old School Autotek Mean Machine Model 44 (Zed Made SQ masterpiece) 16 of the large ones, 16 that look identical to the ones found in the PPI Art Series (IRZs), then 12 smaller ones. This is the most I have ever counted in a 4 channel amp. Again they are Toshiba, made for Mmats or used only by Mmats for this purpose (in no particular order)

I don't know what the literal translation is in technical terms, but I can say with confidence that whatever they did, they did it right, I would put these amps up against anything out there.. Mmats was a serious competitor back in the day, their earlier amps featured the T03 switching devices found in Linear Power amps witch they use on this model.

You’d be surprised at how brutally beautiful this amp sounds 250 wrms @ 4 ohm per channel.

Indeed there are some very powerful and sweet sounding class D amps out there these days. There was a time to shy away from them for their artificial sounding nature due to the old comparitor circuit topology but I think we're well past that. It's down to whether or not the amp produces noise or if it will make it over the long haul and quality is the key there, as many have indicated. I've auditioned some class D Sony, JL, CT Sounds and Orion amps recently and I'm well impressed with how far these designs have come in terms of power and finesse, all with increasingly smaller packages. Would love to hear the MMATS that was referenced above!
I would say go for class D, there are just too many advantages not to. And if you have a big sweet sounding class A/B that you love and want to keep around as a reference, that's okay too. You can have both, lol. Brands like Pioneer, NVX, PPI, Cadence, Orion, ... on and on... seem to be killing it right now for the dollar to power to size ratio. Some even offer a Bluetooth input straight to the amp, handy for some folks.

I’ll find the test. Basically if it was first recorded before 1990 something there is no way it can be remastered in hi res so that’s a gimmick.

Also 320kb is already a higher resolution then we can hear. Hi res is way higher then we can hear.
Well said and 100% accurate.

Indeed there are some very powerful and sweet sounding class D amps out there these days. There was a time to shy away from them for their artificial sounding nature due to the old comparitor circuit topology but I think we're well past that. It's down to whether or not the amp produces noise or if it will make it over the long haul and quality is the key there, as many have indicated. I've auditioned some class D Sony, JL, CT Sounds and Orion amps recently and I'm well impressed with how far these designs have come in terms of power and finesse, all with increasingly smaller packages. Would love to hear the MMATS that was referenced above!
I would say go for class D, there are just too many advantages not to. And if you have a big sweet sounding class A/B that you love and want to keep around as a reference, that's okay too. You can have both, lol. Brands like Pioneer, NVX, PPI, Cadence, Orion, ... on and on... seem to be killing it right now for the dollar to power to size ratio. Some even offer a Bluetooth input straight to the amp, handy for some folks.
The vid won’t do it justice this is there 6 channel

See it in action

First of all, I do not have golden ears, thank god -- but --

I went from a 90's era Zed Audio A/B amp powering my components (190x2 - conservative) to '00's Korean Class D (360x2 optimistic, but gained down).

I had nothing against my Zed amp. Just wanted to try a class D out of curiosity, smaller size, better efficiency. The class D lacks nothing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.