Ported Truck Box 2 alpine 10's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jearod
10+ year member

First of all I have to say, this is a great forum and it's very helpful. And second, I'm pretty much new to all of this, but I have a Box Plan I would like some insight on. I have built a few boxes before, one being the factory spec ported box for a 12" L7 solo-baric, which turned out pretty good, sounded much better than the sealed. I just purchased 2 alpine type R 10's and I want to build a ported box to fit under the back seat of my f150 (actually, the seat set on my box, mainly for looks). I drew up a rough sketch of my plans using paintbrush so maybe this will give you all a better idea.

I know Ported boxes have to be quite a bit larger than sealed, and this is probably about the right size of a sealed box for two 10's, but would this idea of a small ported box sound even a little better than sealed? And what would be good port dimensions?

Ever since I found out the difference a ported box makes compared to a sealed with the same sub, Sealed just seems too inefficient.

Thanks for the feedback in advance,

Jearod
box.jpg

Sorry that picture didn't work for some odd reason, maybe this one will...
alpinebox2.JPG

I'd like to make a correction, the length will be closer to 55" and it's slightly a bit more shallow.

Thanks for the info. Could you explain this tuning frequency? I have seen it around but I'm not familiar with it. And how would I go about tuning it differently?

Thanks

Thanks for all the info JMAC...I would like to correct my dimensions though. I whipped out the tape measure today and the length of the box is going to be closer to 55" but maybe an inch or two more shallow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, would a JBL 1200.1 be too much power for the 2 alpine tens?

Thanks,

Jearod

Hey, I got my box built today and here are the dimensions.

52" L (50 1/2 -MDF) 11" W (9 1/2" -MDF) and 11" (9 1/2" -MDF) If I figured correctly, this turns out to be right around 3 CFT..

It turned out pretty well, I am currently sealing it and applying spray on bed liner, but I would like your opinion again, I suppose i'm only talking to you Jmac since your the only one that has replied. Is this enough for a ported box? and i read where you were going to ask about angled ports, how did that turn out? And one last question, if I decided to get a 3rd ten, would this box still be big enough?

Thanks for all the help,

Jearod

No it's simply a box right now, I haven't attempted the ports yet. It is one long common chamber and I took pictures but it was with a regular camera, won't get them developed until tomorrow probably.. I'll be sure to get them up when i get them

Alright, that got me confused...lets see if I get it. I can port it using a single port, 5" in diameter, and run it from either side to the very center of the box...? I didn't quite understand the curve thing in your diagram..And if this is correct, what dimension should I use if I am making a square port? 5"x5"? or closer to 5X4"

I appreciate the help.

Oh and I almost forgot, what frequency would that be tuned to?

thanks

hmm... Well I would rather have a common chamber, but i'm not too sure how a 5 inch opening is going to look. I think I'll leave it a sealed box until I can see what the type R's sound like. I bought them about a week ago but the prick still hasn't shipped them, says he will tuesday, so I'll have pics up in about a week. Thanks for the help Jmac,

Jearod

Here's roughly what I have to go by Jmac... I only took a few pics. Since then I have sealed it with silicone and applied a coat of spray on bedliner. Also, I have cut one of the sub holes out and put a spare tornado 10 in and bumbed it a little to see if there were any leaks. None to my surprise (with what little pressure that 10 produced.) . This anticipation §hit is H¤LL! Still another week or so until the Type-R's get in.

Might check out http://Http://members.sounddomain.com/Jearod for a few more install pics

270116_3_full.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.