Ported enclosure specs for a 10W6v2

Participant count
  • Participant list

cotjones
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
In the process of repairing a 10w6v2 which I would like to use in a home theater setup. Have a few questions in regard to the enclosure design.

I've had this sub for a while, and several other W6's as well. I just keep coming back to them because I've had a hard time finding this combination of clarity and loudness. That said, I've never had them in ported enclosures (except for the 13 inch model) and that enclosure was identical to the recommended specs.

Question is, every time I do the math, I arrive at numbers for enclosures much larger than JL recommends. And If i had 1 critique on these 10" versions it would be that they are a little weak in the low-low-end. Do you think JL is asking us to cram these in too small of a box just because they can? As I want to use this in a home theater system I want a strong command of extremely low frequencies. Think I can achieve that better in a ported enclosure while maintaining dead flat response? I feel loudness won't really be a problem, I'm moving up from a 100-watt 8-inch Samsung.

Additionally, this is a bit off topic but I've been looking at plate amps and standalone AC sub amps and it seems to be kinda slim pickins. Even 500 watt-max models seem rare and expensive. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to couple a 12-volt power supply with a car amp? Any Thoughts?

1.5 cubes tuned at 26hz for HT use. That's what we did and it was very good. Around 22sq of port area.
Yeah those are closer specs to what I was thinking. We have the same car btw haha I'm about to trade mine for the 15 hybrid.

I was about to get a Taurus limited last week before I learnt how much my trade in value *****. I'm use to toyotas not losing much at all. Tbh if the new camery was out in August I would have gotten that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.