ported enclosure designs

LMJexploder

CarAudio.com Recruit
im looking for some box design plans, For 2 Alpine Type-R 12s there dual 4 ohm and i will wire them to 1 ohm. Amp is 1600 x 1 at 1 ohm pioneer going in a ford explorer and i want a ported enclosure. listen to mostly rap some rock. want deep clean loud bass. here are the t/s parameters any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have the building skills just new to building ported enclosures to the correct specs i guess you would say. Cause anyone can build a box , cut a hole in it and call it a ported enclosure. But i want to build a good sounding, pounding ported enclosure the right way.

Attachments

• 1574826523705.png
    1574826523705.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 171
I did mine in 4.5 cubes at 35 hz. This was type Rs from 10 years ago, but they flexed the windshield in that box pretty good. It was a little peaky on the low end due to cabin gain, but I’ve found that a lot of people actually like that peaky low end, depending on music taste. In my old age, I would build the box smaller now, with a lower port tuning, probably 3.5-4 cubes at 30 hz maybe. I’m a majority heavy metal listener, so control of the cone matters a bit more with some of the fast double bass. Not that it doesn’t matter with rap also, but over the years building boxes for people, I’ve gotten into the habit of doing boxes on the larger side for the rap crowd and a bit smaller for the rock crowd.

cool thanks for the info, the box im designing came out to be about 2.2 cubes per chamber and about 35 hz maybe ill try to get closer to 30 or 32 hz that seems to be about the middle of what they like

The suspension is quite soft and electrically it's will damped. For output I'd say 4.5 tuned to 36 but they will be very peaky
Ideally as small as 3.75 tuned to 32 is a great Sq based tune. For steet or SQL 4 tuned to 35..
I'm not a fan of tuning low anymore. I don't think I'd ever build a box below 35 hz again. I like 37-40 hz.

I'm not a fan of tuning low anymore. I don't think I'd ever build a box below 35 hz again. I like 37-40 hz.
I agree but to only when you get a woofer that has higher qes(0.55 up) and a stiffer suspension(typically the higher mass long throw drivers fit this bill).

even as high as 40 can sound half ass(group delay can be nasty on songs where you have overtones) because of the natural shallow rolloff of the driver..

The high mass and stiffer suspension keeps fs low but mechanical damping is still high enough to have enough damping to prevent that fast unloading you typically get with a driver like the type r(oppsite lower q softer spider) the motor is over damped more so because you loose all compliance and the spiders don't aid the drop off.

i appreciate the feed back, so been trying a few things on torres box calculator and a little on winisd still trying to learn that program. starting to get the hang of it tho. but heres what i came up with so far, it still needs some adj. clean up the angles tweek here a tweek there but the messurments should be pretty close. it came out to about 2.6 cubes per chamber at about 34hz, i got the port length at 12" no bends just straight back. so let me know what you think good or bad and what to change or scrap it lol. its going in a explorer so i got a little wiggle room.

Attachments

• modified new box build 1.jpg
    modified new box build 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 172
i appreciate the feed back, so been trying a few things on torres box calculator and a little on winisd still trying to learn that program. starting to get the hang of it tho. but heres what i came up with so far, it still needs some adj. clean up the angles tweek here a tweek there but the messurments should be pretty close. it came out to about 2.6 cubes per chamber at about 34hz, i got the port length at 12" no bends just straight back. so let me know what you think good or bad and what to change or scrap it lol. its going in a explorer so i got a little wiggle room.

Gawd no. See if @shredder2 can design you a better box than that. if it's going in a SUV, do subs up, port back, port in the middle. Like my avatar.

Ok just so I know is it just the ports that are no good or the size or what? Want it to have something different than just a rectangle box there kind of boring unless that's the only shape they will sound good in.

Ports are way too small on that Tim Burton looking thing. Boxes are generally rectangles, squares or cylinders because that is what flows air the most efficient. Unless its a show car where you dont care performance and only care about looks then it's a waste to make a box that looks like it came from a Tim Burton horror flick.

4-4.5ft3 net ought to work and with a slot I'd try for at least 50-55in2 of port with that amp personally.
This design was for 2 type X on about 1.5times the power and I got sent a vid clip that looked like it did pretty good.
For me performance always trumps looks... a nice finish can make it look great anyways.
dx2AZT.jpg

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.