ported box

Participant count
  • Participant list
i have a toyota tacoma truck four dour with a triple 12" ported box in back seat how should i face the slot ports?should they face up toward the roof or should they face forward
It would depend on the phase of the output. If the phase is calculated to be say, 90 degrees off-axis, the facing them up would be more beneficial. But if you do not know the phase of the box, say it was pre-built or something, then your best bet is to always face them the same direction as the drivers. The less distance between the driver output and the port output, the less changes to the phase of the response, and the actual response in the end. The only reason to face them in any other direction is, 1. If you do not have a choice 2. To correct the phase difference in the output. The flatter the phase to 0, the smoother and broader the response. But, considering a vehicle with LF response and a lot of power, the resonances in the vehicle will not care too much about phase below 150Hz anyway. So, if all of this is too much, keep it simple and face them the same direction as the drivers if you can.

I dont think that there is a real RiGHT way to set it if everyones ear listening is different??? Try different ways to see what best suits your liking???You have what you have/// so now its up to you to try different locations/ settings to what you Like???Up w the ports facing the drivers seats /subs facing the rear seat about 6-8 in,away,facing the driver? on the left facing the rt of the back seats???? Its what you have now its up to you and YOUR EARS!! Not others.

lol not even bro i hate to not understand things its annoying. explain one more time
No problem. Basically, when you want to figure for where to face the port(s) in relation to the drivers, it is all based on whether or not you have calculated a phase difference. When the phase is not 0, then the direction of the sound wave is not the same path as the drivers direction. This can cause effects in the way you hear the response and can make for a troublesome sound. The idea in any setup, is to get the phase corrected as much as possible if more than one source is used for output(I.E. a driver and a port, or 2 drivers, etc.)

It;s like in home theater.......if you position the two front towers in two different directions from the listening point, you will likely get two different timings on when the sound gets to you. This can sometimes, in large areas, cause echo like effects, and sound strange. In cars, no that much of a problem though. But not something to be overlooked. That is the easiest I can explain it without much detail.

Hope that helps.

I dont think that there is a real RiGHT way to set it if everyones ear listening is different??? Try different ways to see what best suits your liking???You have what you have/// so now its up to you to try different locations/ settings to what you Like???Up w the ports facing the drivers seats /subs facing the rear seat about 6-8 in,away,facing the driver? on the left facing the rt of the back seats???? Its what you have now its up to you and YOUR EARS!! Not others.
You have to have a basis to go off of though. It has actually been tested over time that there is a perceptional hearing response of the average ear, and that response is based from many many different listening subjects. I do not desagree with experimentation, though, by all means. That is how we evolved in this field. Everything ever written and all forumlas ever made has came from tesing and experimentation. So, I do agree that there should be some kind of DIY placement in that sense. But again, there is a great base to go off of through the history of audio testing. It has been explained in many writings I have read, and has been proven as well as a wonderful starting point. And as far as phase, yes, there is a right way, as sound propagates only a certain amount of directions and ways and can be pinpointed more accurately with the proper steps than experimentation, as it has already been put into play many years ago as a part of what we do today.

I also want you to know, that I am not bashing your post. You make a very great point! In the end, it's what you like that matters, and I don't want to take the fun out of trying different things. SO, in that sense, I like your post.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.