Ported box size for newer Type R subwoofers (SWR-12D4)

Participant count
  • Participant list

mechatron

Hi Guys,

I'm just about to get a subwoofer box built up for my SS Commodore sedan and I would love to get some advice from the very knowledgeable and experienced members on here. I currently have one 2012 12" Type R sub (SWR-12D4 1000w rms) in the prefabricated Alpine box (SBR-S12D4 => ie the one with the long horizontal slotted port) and it is powered by an Alpine PDX-M12 amplifier. I now want to get a second 12" Type R sub (SWR-12D4 1000w rms) and get both installed in a custom ported enclosure. I will connect each coil per sub in series (4Ω+4Ω=8Ω) and then connect the two subs in parallel to achieve a total resistance of 4Ω.

With this new setup, I’m still planning to use the one PDX-M12 amp to power both 12" subs. From memory my PDX-M12 has a birth sheet of 1350w – 1400w rms and this power rated at both 2Ω and 4Ω, so I’m hoping that this will be adequate to power these two subs properly.

Now I was really hoping to find out what the best size ported box would be for these two 12” Type R subs. I have read quite a lot of information on forums and many people say that the Type Rs sound much better in a large ported enclosure (2.0 to 3.5 cubic feet per sub) …..but all the info I found was for the older 600w rms Type R subs. So, is this box size of 2.0 to 3.5 cubic feet per sub still recommended for the newer 1000w rms Type R subs (SWR-12D2 / SWR12-D4)? I’m really struggling to find information on the best ported box sizes for the newer Type R subs. Alpine recommends a ported box size of 1.7 cubic feet per sub, but this sounds too small based on what most people have used in the past for the older 600w rms Type R subs.

So to summarize, can members on here please tell me the following:

- Optimum cubic feet per sub

- Optimum port size and the number of ports required

- Whether I should have a MDF divider between the two subs inside the enclosure (i.e. just like having two individual boxes mounted together) or should both subs share the same air space?

- Best frequency, if I like a variety of music (50cent, Pearl Jam, Bliss N Eso, Evanescence etc)…I’m thinking 35-38Hz.

Also the space I have available is 0.36m x 0.38m x 1m or 14.2in x 15in x 39.4in

Thank you so much in advance guys.

Thank you very much for your rely Ahmed. Would the size of 2.2cu ft per sub be the total inside volume of the box before the sub is fitted to the box? Also what size port do you recommend per sub?

Are there any other members on here that would like to share their experiences with different size boxes for this newer Type R sub?

Also, if anyone knows of past threads with this exact topic can you please kindly post the links below? Thanks guys

I would do 2.2cu ft after displacement for each sub.

Thank you very much for your rely Ahmed. Would the size of 2.2cu ft per sub be the total inside volume of the box before the sub is fitted to the box? Also what size port do you recommend per sub?
Are there any other members on here that would like to share their experiences with different size boxes for this newer Type R sub?

Also, if anyone knows of past threads with this exact topic can you please kindly post the links below? Thanks guys

Sorry Ahmed, do you mean that the sub box would be 2.2cu ft plus the volume of the sub? So 2.5 to 3.0cu ft in total? If yes, would you know the volume of this sub off the top of your head?

The inside volume of the box would be a little bigger than 2.2cu ft. I don't know off the top of my head what the volume of the sub would be. You could also put those in a box a little bigger. I figure the 2.2 would give me good lows while still being able to put some power into the sub.

Sorry Ahmed, do you mean that the sub box would be 2.2cu ft plus the volume of the sub? So 2.5 to 3.0cu ft in total? If yes, would you know the volume of this sub off the top of your head?

Thank you for clearing that up for me Ahmed. I did a bit of research and the volume of the sub (when inside the enclosure) is approx 0.33cu ft. Thanks again.

Once again, thanks Ahmed.

Is there anyone on here who has actually put their newer Type R subs in ported boxes bigger than 2.0cu ft per sub? If yes, are you happy with the results?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.