Ported box recommendation for 15" hdc3

Kschmitz91

I just got a 15" Audioque hdc3 and I am going to get all new everything to run with that. Im guessing the box would be the next step. I have a 2003 ford explorer sport xlt and it has a relatively big area for a box. I am lost as to what size ported box to use and what frequency to have it be at. I'm looking for loud and and still being able to hit lows. What size box should I have made? All help is greatly appreciated.

Right now I just have an xterminator xr 2000.1d amp, but I am going to be getting all new everything for this and keep it. I have been switching my setup a lot lately and I am tired of doing it. I will buy an amp that will match up nice with the sub and box. So 32 is a good frequency to have it be tuned to? I'm going for really loud so is it basically the bigger the box the louder it'll be? A friend to me to get a 4 cubic ft box at 34 but I mean I want a many opinions as possible. I'm tired of wasting money and not have it work out.

The bigger box will usually dig deeper and play lower. You have to be careful you don't go to big or else the sub will basically act as if it does not have an enclosure. 4cu ft. net at 34hz is a good plan. A couple hertz difference is usually not noticeable to affect anything all that much. The lower you tune the lower it plays but is a bit less loud. Usually for music a range of 30hz-35hz is acceptable. 36-55hz is more for burping and SPL type setups (they wont sound THAT good on music but will get crazy loud). Hope this makes sense.

Cool thanks for your help. I just want to get the most out of this sub. Even though my next question is not in the correct section ill still ask. What type of amp should I get. I was told this sub can handle a lot more than it's rated to handle. And does the box size affect how much power I should put into it?

An AQ 1200.1 would be perfect and is not bad on price. The smaller the box is means that it can handle a few extra hundred watts mechanically (but you would still need to worry about thermal handling of the sub). A box on the larger side would be better if you aren't planning on running much power (it is more efficient). 4 cubic feet is what you want for this sub.

Cool ill look into the 4cu boxes that are pre made. I was going to make one but If it has to be 100% perfect I'm not going to even risk it. It's a copper dual 2 ohm.

Ok if you get a prefab make sure you know the tuning and port area before you buy it. Try to find 3/4" mdf or even 1" mdf anything thinner is junk. Most people wont recommend prefabs because they are tuned too high and do not have much bracing at all. There are a few members here who do custom boxes

Alright cool thanks for the heads up. I just talked to some dude earlier today from Craigslist that makes custom boxes. Ill talk to him tomorrow. 4 cu at 32hrz is what I'll tell him. Should I be specific as to what style of port? I'm sure he would have an idea since he makes them but I just want to be sure. Lol if I'm spending a lot of money I want everything to work together perfect and not have to switch stuff up. And I only need a aq 1200.1? The guy I bought this from is a professional installer and he said this will handle a lot more than it's rated.

Just get a slot port that's in the range of 12-16 sq. inches of port per cubic feet (in your case it's 4 cubic feet). The AQ 1200.1 does around 1,500watts RMS at 14.4 volts. They are underrated amps but you could always step it up to an AQ 2200.1 and just set the gains a little lower

I would place the sub firing up and slot port firing to the rear near the bottom in your SUV. Do you plan on ever adding more subs or will you just sell the stuff if you get tired of it?

If I were to get more subs I would probably have 2 15's and just get a new box made. I have had a bunch of different subs these past few months and I always just sell it and take a loss in the process. I'm tired of doing that and want something that I will be content with for a while.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.