ported box question

pearldrummer
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
a guy at circuit city told my girlfriend that a ported box would sound like **** in a car with a regular trunk as opposed to an suv or a hatchback. no matter what i tell her she is stuck on believing this guy from circuit city.

so could some of you guys please tell my and her why he is wrong.

Thanks a lot.

no matter what i tell her she is stuck on believing this guy from circuit city.
Why is it that women will always believe an "authority" figure on something, regardless of what we actually know to be true, simply because we aren't in their shoes? I've noticed this before...

He probably meant a bandpass box and not ported. A bandpass would do much better in an SUV than a trunk. If he meant ported then he is an idiot and ported would actually be the best option for a trunk becasue of the extra output to fight through the backseat.

Most all speakers do better in an SUV because the soundwaves do not have to fight through anything. Really cheap bandpass boxes are very peaky and might have great output at 50 hz but freq. above that and below that drop off dramatically and and would have a hard time finding their way to the front of the car where in an SUV they would have a better chance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.