Ported Box for SSA ICON 18"

Participant count
  • Participant list

carp0331

Guys need some help on specs. I'm looking to go from sealed to ported on my icon to get some added sound. What I've currently got is 40" Wide x 24" Tall x 22" Deep. Gives me 10 cubes gross so after the port and sub I get 7.5 cubes. 118 inches of port and 38" long for a 32hz tune. Does this look like it would work good with the Icon?

Guys need some help on specs. I'm looking to go from sealed to ported on my icon to get some added sound. What I've currently got is 40" Wide x 24" Tall x 22" Deep. Gives me 10 cubes gross so after the port and sub I get 7.5 cubes. 118 inches of port and 38" long for a 32hz tune. Does this look like it would work good with the Icon?
If that is correct on the 7.5 cubes, your port area and tuning looks great to me. It loves the low end and has a very warm response. I really dig the Icon 18. Currently planning a ported box for home theater.

I have it in a 5.5 cubes sealed box on a old school JBL 1200 but it just doesn't have the punch you in your face bass. It's dual 1 ohm so not a lot of amp choices but just bought a new kicker 1200. I'm hoping going ported will give me the beat in the chest I'm looking for and great sq.

Maybe the larger sealed has the tuning frequency too low? I mean it'll shake my headliner like crazy but you just really don't feel the bass. That's why I was leaning towards ported.

So shrink the box or go big ported? Still want to maintain SQ. How do you think a sundown sae-1000d @ a .5 ohm would do daily? 220 amp alt an xs power battery, all 0 gaugge and big 3. I would rather run it than a kicker 1200. I'm sure after box rize I'll be well over 1 ohm.

So shrink the box or go big ported? Still want to maintain SQ. How do you think a sundown sae-1000d @ a .5 ohm would do daily? 220 amp alt an xs power battery, all 0 gaugge and big 3. I would rather run it than a kicker 1200. I'm sure after box rize I'll be well over 1 ohm.
In the short term, it is easier to shrink a sealed box as you can put in pre-measured blocks inside the enclosure to take up displacement. But, if you go ported (increasing efficiency) as well as add more power, the output will jump for sure.

I'm having an issues determine port length. With 10 cubes and 115 sq in port gross @ 32 hz I'm getting 34" on one calculator and 18" on another. Scratching my head on this one.

when you wire an amp that low you decrease every measurable aspect about it.

ported sounds fine and can sound fine but phase is a big deal ported and it requires testing. With that being said I think if you went on the smaller side of the recommendation tuned very low you will be okay.

From what I gather output isn't an issue it's bandwidth AKA it won't hit hard up top. shrinking a box will solve that issue.

If you want more output ported is definitely the way to go! FYI denim actually builds those woofers

I'm having an issues determine port length. With 10 cubes and 115 sq in port gross @ 32 hz I'm getting 34" on one calculator and 18" on another. Scratching my head on this one.
its how the program determines you net volume. I'm guessing 1 program doesn't determine net volume and account for the port displacement 32 sounds closer

I really appreciate all the help. I got the port size worked out. 21x6 and 33" long will get me 33hz tuned in 7.5 cubes net. Should sound pretty good and give me the range I'm looking for.

I really appreciate all the help. I got the port size worked out. 21x6 and 33" long will get me 33hz tuned in 7.5 cubes net. Should sound pretty good and give me the range I'm looking for.
don't hurt to start a tad big and tuned a tad low and subtract volume by doing what demin said. its an old trick form SPL designs..

This is my Icon 12" in roughly 2 cuft ported at 30hz.

c1c15bb6f649a3935e22ff673ff76b37.jpg

This is my Icon 12" in a IB config.

fb248dd2a556b7f22f5a175e4fa405cb.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.