Need Help on SQ Set Up

Participant count
  • Participant list

carp0331

Ok guys I'm working with a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and need some advice. I'm currently running a 18" SSA Icon Sealed (built to spec) on a JBL 1200. its just not doing what i want it to. Tried Sub Up / Sub Back. It'll hit the low lows and vibrate things loose but not the punch you in your chest bass and sound quality that i'm looking for.. maybe its the box or maybe its the amp idk. i just took out a single 10" IA Lethal Injection in a T-Line pushed by a Skar 800 and you felt more of the bass in your chest than the 18". My first 18" so maybe i'm expecting too much.

I'm going to switch it up for total SQ and looking to get some input. Currently I'm looking to go with either 3 - TC Sounds Epic 8 Sealed on 2000 watts or 2 - Dayton Ultimax 10" Slot Ported T-Line on 1200 watts. i had a single dayton 10" before but sold it before i could play with it.They looked beefy. I know the earlier batches had QC issues but from what I've heard they have been resolved. As for a sound quality punch you in your face bass would either of these do it? i'm not looking to rattle the hatch loose but i would like for it to blend well with my 8" daytons in the front doors and TB Tweeters in the sails as well as provide hard hitting bass. I've also looked at the AB XR's but not many reviews on them.

I mocked up a ported box. 8 cubes with 100 in of port. It'll give me 6 cubes net tuned to 32 hz. It'll take up the whole back area but it's def an option. I'm leaving more towards sub facing the back but debating on poet facing back or up. It'll be a T-Line box if I build it. Just don't know if this 18" Icon will give me the sq I'm after.

I mocked up a ported box. 8 cubes with 100 in of port. It'll give me 6 cubes net tuned to 32 hz. It'll take up the whole back area but it's def an option. I'm leaving more towards sub facing the back but debating on poet facing back or up. It'll be a T-Line box if I build it. Just don't know if this 18" Icon will give me the sq I'm after.
If in an SUV for daily, I vote rear fire for both port and driver.

I know it's all about sound waves and getting them to the front. What is there to gain by placing both sub and poet facing up? Box would be to the seat line so about 20" tall. That would leave a good hit of air space between the sub and the roof.

I know it's all about sound waves and getting them to the front. What is there to gain by placing both sub and poet facing up? Box would be to the seat line so about 20" tall. That would leave a good hit of air space between the sub and the roof.
Fire up for better numbers (not your goal), fire rear ward to allow more distance between the cone and the listening location. Low the note, the longer the wave length.

Getting bass up front is phase and not being able to localize it.

Just picked up a Incriminator Audio IA10.1. Heard good things about them. Gonna build the box this weekend and see what she does. Since it'll be putting out good power I'll adjust the gains with ddm. She should beat pretty good.

[quote name='carp0331']Ok guys I'm working with a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and need some advice. I'm currently running a 18" SSA Icon Sealed (built to spec) on a JBL 1200. its just not doing what i want it to. Tried Sub Up / Sub Back. It'll hit the low lows and vibrate things loose but not the punch you in your chest bass and sound quality that i'm looking for.. maybe its the box or maybe its the amp idk. i just took out a single 10" IA Lethal Injection in a T-Line pushed by a Skar 800 and you felt more of the bass in your chest than the 18". My first 18" so maybe i'm expecting too much.

I'm going to switch it up for total SQ and looking to get some input. Currently I'm looking to go with either 3 - TC Sounds Epic 8 Sealed on 2000 watts or 2 - Dayton Ultimax 10" Slot Ported T-Line on 1200 watts. i had a single dayton 10" before but sold it before i could play with it.They looked beefy. I know the earlier batches had QC issues but from what I've heard they have been resolved. As for a sound quality punch you in your face bass would either of these do it? i'm not looking to rattle the hatch loose but i would like for it to blend well with my 8" daytons in the front doors and TB Tweeters in the sails as well as provide hard hitting bass. I've also looked at the AB XR's but not many reviews on them.[/QUOTE]

@audiobahn this is why i dont ever recommend putting SSA subs in sealed.

[quote name='carp0331']I mocked up a ported box. 8 cubes with 100 in of port. It'll give me 6 cubes net tuned to 32 hz. It'll take up the whole back area but it's def an option. I'm leaving more towards sub facing the back but debating on poet facing back or up. It'll be a T-Line box if I build it. Just don't know if this 18" Icon will give me the sq I'm after.[/QUOTE]

since its an SUV, 34-36 hz is better, dont tune it lower or else you'll get the same kind of results.. Port it, they were never meant to be in sealed boxes I seriously doubt its anywhere near sound quality in a sealed box. It will sound extremely good in a ported though. Just dont tune too low, they respond to tuning very well and the chest punch you are looking for is a peak in the 35 to 50hz range which is not really sound quality per say but its what you would prefer the sub to be capable of doing. EQ cuts can always make thing smooth. However you do need to be loud and sealed will never get you loud. I bet you meter waay higher with that 10 in a T line compared to the 18 in a sealed. Ported will be a completely different story and a completely different animal.

Your other issue is, your amp is barely ticking the sub. That 1250 rms is a joke, i'd throw at least 1.5k to 2k rms to it.

[quote name='carp0331']Just picked up a Incriminator Audio IA10.1. Heard good things about them. Gonna build the box this weekend and see what she does. Since it'll be putting out good power I'll adjust the gains with ddm. She should beat pretty good.[/QUOTE]

get a twisted sounds 1.8k instead, 10 bucks more almost double the power.

Synergy Audio WFO 15.1D is the same amp as well for 400, just pick and choose either of them. They are exactly the same amps, both are underrated and make way more power than they state. Same korean built quality as IA.

However i'd build a ported box first before throwing money all over the place.

The 10" was crazy loud and beat harder than the 18. I was surprised but I'll wake this 18 up. Now I have a question on port length. I'm using the gross size of 10 cubes and one calculator tells me roughly 34" and another tells me 18" both are tuned to 32hz. Sounds like I need to tune close to 35hz to get the sq outa these. Need some help on this one for the right port length. I literally picked up a brand new IA10.1 for $150. My buddy was selling his system that was 2 weeks old and gave me a deal on it. Couldn't pass it up. And it should be close to 1500 at .5 ohm.

I see the big *** ports 10" aero and using the online cal I could reach my tuning with a 12" long port 10" in diameter in 10 cubes. Assuming that the calculator is right tha'll give me right at 10" to the back of the box which will be perfect. Sub/port back.

I see the big *** ports 10" aero and using the online cal I could reach my tuning with a 12" long port 10" in diameter in 10 cubes. Assuming that the calculator is right tha'll give me right at 10" to the back of the box which will be perfect. Sub/port back.
you can do that or spend 11 bucks at your local home depot for 4 feet worth of sonotubes to experiment with all kinds of tuning. Again i would strongly suggest going under 34hz tuning for the goals you want especially in a bigger car like an SUV which has a lower vehicle resonant frequency.

SAKRETE 10 in. x 48 in. Concrete Form Tube-65470006 - The Home Depot

or just use the enclosure and build a port in it/with it. Like in my avatar. In SUV's, sub up, port back sound the best.

Sealed is a bad idea to begin with with those SSA subs. Ported, that sub will come alive....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.