Port size ?

Yea i was gonna look at WinISD, i assume its gotta stupid price tag on it. However, im dealing with a circular area of yet unknown volume. I was hoping to measure it today, but it decided to act like the amazon rain forest during wet season. And yea, new to ported boxes, but with the space i have i might have to stick to sealed. Im just obsessing over the potential lack of volume potential with a single sub and 500w to it. It may well be more than i need, but ive only had experience with two 10's and around 200-225w and that was about 18 years ago.
I'm still making payments on my winisd

Yea i was gonna look at WinISD, i assume its gotta stupid price tag on it. However, im dealing with a circular area of yet unknown volume. I was hoping to measure it today, but it decided to act like the amazon rain forest during wet season. And yea, new to ported boxes, but with the space i have i might have to stick to sealed. Im just obsessing over the potential lack of volume potential with a single sub and 500w to it. It may well be more than i need, but ive only had experience with two 10's and around 200-225w and that was about 18 years ago.
winisd and torres box calc are both 100% free lol.  Hornsrep is also free but much more complicated but perfect for T lines and tapped/folded horns. Bass box pro costs money but there's free download links floating around lol. 

just build as big as you can possibly fit all over. Fill the enclosure with packing peanuts to the brim, then empty it out in a cardboard box and get the height of how much the box is filled x length and width to get your actual cubic feet then determine your port length based on that on torres.

if you want more precise numbers, learn how to use google sketchup for 3d models which will be the most accurate in enclosure designing.
This is what im going after, itll be bandpassed from 25 to 80hz.

"The ported Compact design increases bass efficiency and fits in many space-limited applications. Although it is the smallest
recommended ported enclosure, the output from 30 to 80 Hz will be considerably higher than that of any sealed box. The two other
ported designs have proportionately more output in this crucial frequency band."

winisd and torres box calc are both 100% free lol.  Hornsrep is also free but much more complicated but perfect for T lines and tapped/folded horns. Bass box pro costs money but there's free download links floating around lol. 

just build as big as you can possibly fit all over. Fill the enclosure with packing peanuts to the brim, then empty it out in a cardboard box and get the height of how much the box is filled x length and width to get your actual cubic feet then determine your port length based on that on torres.
Yea, i got around to looking it up, thats a major surprise, even these days.. freeware went out with Windows 95 for the most part.

major important thing is rear air velocity. Enter in the signal and input power (accounting for potential box rise please)  then go to rear air velocity and see your numbers.. Keep it under 22 to 30 meters per second or 66 to 90 feet per second and you'll avoid compression.

space makes bass, if you go with the smallest box possible, you wont get what you want bass response wise, your lows will suffer and it'll turn into a midbass box rather an actual subwoofer box or worse it becomes a one note wonder fart box.  usually the smallest anyone would ever go for an 8 is .75 cubic feet after port and sub displacement.

This is what im going after, itll be bandpassed from 25 to 80hz.

"The ported Compact design increases bass efficiency and fits in many space-limited applications. Although it is the smallest
recommended ported enclosure, the output from 30 to 80 Hz will be considerably higher than that of any sealed box. The two other
ported designs have proportionately more output in this crucial frequency band."

Last edited by a moderator:
mercy if i was using a single 8 i sure wouldn't want to fk it up. Probably wouldn't want to run much power on mid n highs or high sensitivity speakers for that matter.. what exactly are you planning 6th order 4th 88 order ported? Lost me when you said bandpass a while ago? Maybe I had too many beers 

mercy if i was using a single 8 i sure wouldn't want to fk it up. Probably wouldn't want to run much power on mid n highs or high sensitivity speakers for that matter.. what exactly are you planning 6th order 4th 88 order ported? Lost me when you said bandpass a while ago? Maybe I had too many beers 

The signal will be from 25-80hz on the amps input. In other words, sub sonic at 25z and low pass at 80hz. I was just using bandpass as a shortcut to say all of that. The mids and highs will be... well im not 100% set on that yet. I know SSMB8's in the front doors running wide open (no crossovers) to utilize their 30-500hz bandwidth. Im not decided on 6.5;s in kick pods and then 3.5's in the dash stock locations, not sure where to put the tweets yet.

The signal will be from 25-80hz on the amps input. In other words, sub sonic at 25z and low pass at 80hz. I was just using bandpass as a shortcut to say all of that. The mids and highs will be... well im not 100% set on that yet. I know SSMB8's in the front doors running wide open (no crossovers) to utilize their 30-500hz bandwidth. Im not decided on 6.5;s in kick pods and then 3.5's in the dash stock locations, not sure where to put the tweets yet.
oh i see

I'm in the camp of less is more especially if the sub stage doesn't stand much chance of keeping up. Maybe I'm weird well probably a little bit...Hope to get an honest review thinking it might not change your view on ported though... Could be wrong I guess

I'm in the camp of less is more especially if the sub stage doesn't stand much chance of keeping up. Maybe I'm weird well probably a little bit...Hope to get an honest review thinking it might not change your view on ported though... Could be wrong I guess
The SSMB8's will be bridged off a ZX460 to get around 150w each, then the other mids/tweets will be run stereo getting 30-45w each. But since the MB8's are in the doors, they will be decoupled from the car and not really contributing to the overall 'thump' i want. So more heard than felt. I keep wondering if i need another L5, but this was a low production version and very hard to find and i dont really want to buy two new ones and try to recoup selling that one. Who knows, i might get lucky lol.

yeah fk it run it.. sounds like a special sub..

All that install experience and this is what your plan is???? Pay for winisd???? Walks like a duck quacks like a duck must be a duck....

Last edited by a moderator:
The SSMB8's will be bridged off a ZX460 to get around 150w each, then the other mids/tweets will be run stereo getting 30-45w each. But since the MB8's are in the doors, they will be decoupled from the car and not really contributing to the overall 'thump' i want. So more heard than felt. I keep wondering if i need another L5, but this was a low production version and very hard to find and i dont really want to buy two new ones and try to recoup selling that one. Who knows, i might get lucky lol.
That's very little power for miss/tweets.

pretty sure he's not gonna like the ported setup because its not going to be properly done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.