Which subs would be a good choice for my setup?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BLK OUT 4

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm Sure this topic has been beat to death a million times. I'm not internet savvy to go finding every sub out there and trying to figure out what subs are what. I'll keep it simple and give the system details and that i want to achieve. 

The car is a 2014 Hyundai Veloster.

HU = Kenwood DNX574

Amp 1 = Infinity Kappa 4 running Kappa 6.5" components up front and Kappa 6.5's in the rear.

Amp 2 = Infinity Kappa K1000. Would like to run it 1000x1@2 ohms

I guess I'm looking for a pair of subs that can be wired to run a 2ohm load, have 500W RMS and not cost a fortune. Trying to stay within a budget here. The entire hatch of the Veloster can be used for a box, so I'm looking at about 36x18x16 for a box size.

I listen mostly to hair bands, 90's/2000's hard rock, but also get into some dance/EDM music as well. 

Any input would be appreciated. I haven't been in the car audio scene for a long time, so there may be brands out there that i just don't know about.

Thanks

If you wire 500w rms subs to that amp you will under power them because of impedance rise. You would be better off with something around 250-300w rms. Infinity REF1270s or 1070s would work. The space you have available is enough for a 4cf box which is about what you need for a pair of 12s. 

If you wire 500w rms subs to that amp you will under power them because of impedance rise. You would be better off with something around 250-300w rms. Infinity REF1270s or 1070s would work. The space you have available is enough for a 4cf box which is about what you need for a pair of 12s. 
I am looking to run 2 12's. Since I'm looking to stay somewhat in a budget, i was thinking of something with a SVC ( if there is something out there that has quality and can handle that kind of power work only a SVC) with 4 ohm voice coils, wired in parallel, for a 2 ohm load. That should allow me to utilize the full capability of the amp. I guess i could run a pair of DVC subs, having them wired up correctly. 

I am looking to run 2 12's. Since I'm looking to stay somewhat in a budget, i was thinking of something with a SVC ( if there is something out there that has quality and can handle that kind of power work only a SVC) with 4 ohm voice coils, wired in parallel, for a 2 ohm load. That should allow me to utilize the full capability of the amp. I guess i could run a pair of DVC subs, having them wired up correctly. 
you can do dual 2 ohm voice coils in series parallel configuration or two single 4 ohm subs.  Or a single 15 dual 4 ohm.   It all depends on your budget.

These 12s can work in a smaller enclosure size leaning towards sound quality, tight accurate clean bass with decent output in a proper ported box.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-4-12-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-466

you can do dual 2 ohm voice coils in series parallel configuration or two single 4 ohm subs.  Or a single 15 dual 4 ohm.   It all depends on your budget.

These 12s can work in a smaller enclosure size leaning towards sound quality, tight accurate clean bass with decent output in a proper ported box.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-4-12-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-466
I've never considered anything from parts-express to be decent,but then again i haven't really followed car audio for a number of years.

Jeff, you seem to know your ****, judging by the depth of your other responses. I would def be leaning towards 2 12's vs a single 15. Now i guess i have to research box designs

I've never considered anything from parts-express to be decent,but then again i haven't really followed car audio for a number of years.

Jeff, you seem to know your ****, judging by the depth of your other responses. I would def be leaning towards 2 12's vs a single 15. Now i guess i have to research box designs
they would both be the same size around 3.5 ish cubic feet. The daytons work well in smaller boxes. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.