port design please HELP!

jlanebpc
10+ year member

ok so i know a good bit about car audio wiring ect... my weak point is sub enclosures

i have 2 ipipe DVC 4 ohm subs and getting a amp to run 1 ohm.. i have a 99 chevy silverado ext cab and i plan to make a box to go on my back seat ( only the driver side ) where it will go under the seat come up and over the seat to basically sit in the seat like soView attachment 26523553

that may be hard to see. but i want to hit low freq. where should i put the port and how big/ long should it be ? pictures would be awesome!

That box will render the seat useless, why not just take the seat out?.

You didn't even list the size of the subs...

Didn't list the internal volume of the box...

Dude car audio is not a guessing game...Need actual numbers with which to do the math.

Last edited by a moderator:
stuff%20047.JPG

Can fit quite a nice box under there..

Ok, I could help but I would need to know outer max dimensions your willing to go for box in a square or rectangular enclosure, as well as the recommend cubic feet subs recommend. Then I can use my software to determine the cutout of either .75 or .5 MDF wood and specs you will want to use for your needs (keeping low frequency in mind..).

i have a box under my seat to fit 2 12's but its not enough beat for me and they are 12's ( sorry retrojordan i forgot. screw yourself) but i havnt built the box just yet because i wanted to know where and how big it should be.. i have searched the internet for reccomended airspace but cant find ****

i have a box under my seat to fit 2 12's but its not enough beat for me and they are 12's ( sorry retrojordan i forgot. screw yourself) but i havnt built the box just yet because i wanted to know where and how big it should be.. i have searched the internet for reccomended airspace but cant find ****
Screw myself for actually taking time to try and help you?

Not really a good attitude when you are requesting help but didn't provide all the necessary information..

i havnt built the box yet becuase like i said i do not know about building enclosures................. i know about wiring them. thats it, anyone know the recommended

airspace and what would sound best?

i havnt built the box yet becuase like i said i do not know about building enclosures................. i know about wiring them. thats it, anyone know the recommended airspace and what would sound best?
That's what we're saying...You didn't list the size of the subs you are using. And you should skip that drawing idea and just run a box under the folded up back seat there is plenty of room under there.

What " subs are they?

they are 12'' subs and i had 2 12's under my seat but i want more bass, ive tried pioneer flats kicker cvt and diamond audio flats but nothing compares to my ipipes

Hey, we understand your frustration due to lack of enclosure knowledge but please don't be hasty with anyone willing to help you out.. We ask questions due to lack of information given to us to help benefit you with our personal knowledge..

they are 12'' subs and i had 2 12's under my seat but i want more bass, ive tried pioneer flats kicker cvt and diamond audio flats but nothing compares to my ipipes
They need 3 cubic feet each in a ported enclosure. Tune the subs to 32-40hz.

Box Specs.

Width: 45"

Height: 18"

Depth: 17"

MDF Thickness: 3/4"

This is a box for 2 x 12" Ipipe subs. Total volume: 6.4ft^3 before displacement.

To port this box, tuned to 35hz you need:

3 lengths of 6" Diameter PVC Pipe, 27" long each.

The subs will fire upwards, while the ports will load into the end of the box.

thanks man.. but im still a little confused, i should use port tubes instead of the square port? and is there a picture of a box like that anywhere for visual referemce

I'll tell you the truth as of now I personally don't know the recommended airspace of your woofers, however I will do some possible quick research in the meantime to help determine what they might be.. Perhaps while I do this, the knowledge of retrojordans or any others might be a quicker resource to your question.. Once I retain the recommended or approximate airspace I could give you an idea of what you might want to do for these particular woofers with you vehicle. As far as wanting a low frequency feel (or sound) I would recommend in the new design a ported enclosure, which will basically set a frequency a certain way.. Ports obviously consist of a Height, Width, and Length. Typically the height and width set the port area while the length set the port frequency. This being said the longer the port the lower the frequency. This is general statements so of course when these variables are manipulated it will slightly change the opposite variable (Example: making length of port longer will slightly make the port area larger). I have some software that I can use once we get some more info to help design an enclosure for your vehicle. (I am trying to help you out with my knowledge (and if anyone else has conflict with anything I say please bring it to my knowledge, for I could be very well wrong with some info.))

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.