Port area arguement

I'm in kind of a heated debate with my cousin. (for the record Idk **** about designing enclosures) But I have been reading and this is what I have come up with. I am planning on running a zv512 off of a bc3500 at one ohm( probably gonna throw 2500-3000 watts at it) Listen to mostly rap dubstep and hip hop. Would you guys agree that a zv512 in about 2.5-3 cubes with a 4 inch aero port tuned to 30 hz is way too small of a port area for this woofer. I keep trying to tell him theres no way it will sound good and could even possibly damage the woofer. Am I correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
according to your calculator i need a 12 inch diameter port for a 15 lol i dont think so
i was kind of skeptical at that considering it says i need an 8 inch port for my 12 when Ive seen people use 8 inch for two. But I still think that each sub needs atleast 2 4 inch ports or one 6 inch port

according to your calculator i need a 12 inch diameter port for a 15 lol i dont think so
that what you need to keep you noise and resistance low.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

btw xmax and actual displacment are different.

that what you need to keep you noise and resistance low.
"minimum" means its the minimum its recommending, as in make it bigger than that..

I was going to mention xmax, but i didnt want to get in a pissing match with you over a calculator that doesnt help

"minimum" means its the minimum its recommending, as in make it bigger than that..
I was going to mention xmax, but i didnt want to get in a pissing match with you over a calculator that doesnt help
plot the driver look at the displacement graphs and build accordling.

i have 72" slot port and could use more. i have about 260 or so after rise above FS so my driver MOVES. as in your case with the single 18 Id do at least 120.

FYI. you do realize that having more port area means MORE displacement and MORE output correct? its kinda like say i have a 15 with a 12" passive radiator.
how does any of this actually help, your calculator is still useless for the most part

Sorry i left out tuned to 30 hz. According to that calculator 4 inches is way too small
6" would be min i'd try on a 12" in any box 2cf or bigger., but i also think power u running has a lot to d with it to so if u running a 400rms amp to a small sub 4" probably ok if u running 1200-2500rms to big *** sub u need much more port.. wins program shows port air velocity., just for fun i used my fu 750 in 2.6 cfad box with 2krms (about what u would have if u run around 3k to it) and even a 5.5" port would not be good, u would need a 8" port that would give u 73fps port air..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.