Polyfill! does it realy work?

Wal mart is alot less expensive. All i can say is that I have used and use polyfil in all of my subwoofer set up and love the results, just make sure you keep it away from the pole vent. I usually pat it down right behind the motor so there is at least 2-3 inches of space between the vent and the polyfil

yes. poly-fil works, at least in sealed boxes. i actually did a small test. i made my 3.3 ft sealed box for my ht sub. hooked up the rta, did a few scans. left the rta where it was. went and bought some poly-fil. put 50 oz in the box then fired the rta back up and i did gain a db or so down low. it's a very small amount but it helped.

So would adding polyfil be benificial if your sub is already in a box already near the top recommended enclosure size?

Infinity recommends a box around .75 to 1.0

I put my sub in a 1.0. Would polyfil make it sound better?

I was checking this yesterday and I tough it was worth a mention...
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/11/topic/076651/Number/0/site_id/1

As now, i've got 2 12type r on a bxi1606d in my little accent 99 trunk, tuned at 32hz. I'm using most of its space with a box at 4.6 , something around 4.2 net

I wanted to know if there was a way to get them to play lower note a little louder without switching the box, as i can't do that.

I've been to home depot in quebec, they didn't even know what polyfill was //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif I lost 30minute looking around the shop and nothing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Anybody got experience with that stuff? On the link I provide, they said the subs can see up to 40% more enclosure space by adding around 1.4lbs of polyfill per ft/cu, but for 1.4 ported box

I want to try this as it is supposed to be real cheap and it could be a nice experience to try.

So 4.2 net ported tuned at 32 on two 12 inch type r, how much polyfill should i get?

Where can i get it? Home depot don't have it, but there is a Walmart pretty near too. There is also a place called Bouclair who's sell decoration and pillow.. so maybe:rolleyes:

BTW do you see my avatar? Ca.com says it was to big to upload but doesn't seems like
40% more enclosure space seems like an absurd amount that would only be limited to specific enclosure types, and even then it sounds like an exaggeration to sell the product.

Maybe a transmission line that's properly designed could approach those numbers, but the design process for such speakers is well beyond the basic theory of 2nd, 4th, and often even 6th order enclosures.

Almost every speaker box, that includes an open air driver, should have some form of "fill", however increasing the fill level too much actually can be counter-productive as it reduces the actual airspace in the enclosure.

Fill can also cause issues by obstructing, or bonding to, speaker parts, as well as causing irregularities in 4th and 6th order designs if the air flow is changed enough.

Basically, yes, add some fill that is safe for your speaker to your box, and don't expect miracles.

Most manufacturer recommended enclosure sizes ASSUME that you will use fill, and as such as you are supposed to fill it as a matter of standard practice. Contact the manufacturer of your driver for their suggested type of fill, amounts, etc.

Many companies will be happy to answer such questions, as it shows that you're willing to put forth more effort than buying some low grade plywood and hammering some nails into a piece of crap shape that is ready to blow itself apart.

did anyone read that this is a ported box? last time i checked adding poly won't do squat in a ported box. just sealed.
Ever open up a properly designed home speaker (not a DIY project) that's ported? This includes audiophile subs of all styles.

I'll give you 10 to 1 odds that it has fill in it.

Basically EVERY speaker with an open air driver should have some fill. Bandpass, sealed, ported, transmission line, etc.

The concept of standing waves doesn't even apply to many common car audio speaker boxes as the waves are just too long for the enclosure size. This is why almost all car audio enclosures (and many subwoofers designed for the home) can be of almost any shape (assuming build quality and bracing isn't impacted).

Standing waves are not why we fill sub enclosures, be they 2nd order or 4th order.

A modest amount of fill is almost always beneficial, but the impact is often minor, and overdoing the fill will not improve things but make them worse.

Whatever software you use to design your enclosure should allow you to include your fill amount, as well as leak amount. If it doesn't, do the math by hand, or in the case of a sealed box, experiment with fill levels after (re-tuning a ported box is also possible if the port is an easy to modify design, but may lead to far greater time consumption to tweak).

Just got back from WalMart and I found some //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

They only had 3 pack of 12 oz = 2,54lbs

My box is like 4.6 before displacement i'm a bit on the short size

It's called polyester Stuffing is it really what i wanted?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

And I just don't understand how to put that stuff in the box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif Do i glue it or just leave the 3 pack there laying around?

I'll be working on that after lunch

Take it out of the bag and put it in the box, you don't need to glue it down or anything. Just make sure it's not packed tight, leave it a bit fluffy.

Yes, polyester stuffing is the same thing as poly-fil... poly-fil is a brand name, kinda like kleenex is actually facial tissue, but regardless of brand, most people just refer to it as a kleenex.

Who is clock? I'm Glock... like as in the gun! Don't worry about making it stay in place, it will be fine.

Lol, I know it's the gun, mispelled it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

I haven't slept a lot last night

oh ok cool... let us know the results when you get done with everything. I need to add some poly-fil to my new ported box... I only have one 1 lb. bag, plus the little bit thats in my sealed boxes, so I need to get another bag then I'll add it to my box.

took more time than expected , **** wires lost in the fill...

I've only listen to it 2 minute while driving around not too loud, i can't really tell a difference but i'll listen so more on bass line i'm used to

I'll post some update later

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.