Polk SR6500 Speaker

Participant count
  • Participant list
You can use silicone to seal the tear. It won't be the prettiest, but it shouldn't affect the sound quality of the speakers one bit. I've done that with speakers in the past. In fact, I'm installing an SI BMIII in my buddies GTO and we had to fix up one area of the surround. He picked it up used with the tear in it. The sound quality was not compromised by the tear/fix. I guess that's comparing a 12" sub to a 6.75" speaker, but the same idea applies, unless you tore the shit outta it.

Thanks for the message. I'm afraid that since there is also a bit of rubber missing, that the distance needed to span the gap of the tear may be too far. I will try anything however. I once took a home audio speaker that had a similar tear into a place in Anaheim to get it fixed. This worked great, although due to the fact that it is a butyl rubber surround glued to an exotic carbon cone, it may not work. My home speaker was a more traditional foam surround.

I did try your solution. So far so good. There doesn't appear to be an appreciable degradation in sound either. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, it usually works well, as long as you don't over/under apply it. I did it to a Pioneer Premier TS-D520C surround that I tore with my screwdriver when I slipped trying to put it in. I had good luck with that too. I'm glad that it's working out for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.