Polk db6501 - better set for $100?

TxVibe
10+ year member

Houston
I can pick these up for $100. I'm looking for something that's pretty painless to setup, without a lot of tweaking (not meaning physical install). This is a hard question to ask, because everything in this arena is so subjective to personal taste. I'm willing to spend up to $130, but no more. Are these a pretty decent set for the $? I was also looking at entry CDTs (CL-60/61), Pioneer TS-D1720C, or JL TRS650-CSi. Just want something that's clear and can handle mid-bass decently. Or as well as possible considering the price factor

Those jl's sound like garbage and cdt reviews are bad . i dont know about the pioneer componets but im not impressed with their coaxials. I put those polks in a friends s-10 and they sound good. Descent mid-bass and the tweets are not overpowering(more natuaral) personally i like them brighter, but not all people do. Alpine type-r componets can be had for $150 and sound better than any of those options.

I think I'm going to go with the Cadence CWM-6KIT actually for now people really seem to like them well for a budget set and right now I can snag them for $60. The pioneers seem to be liked well for their prices as well, but evidently they shine when run active. Then, when I have more money to blow I can get something like the Polk MOMOS, Type Rs, Massive VKs, ID CTX65CS, or JBL P660c.

I've at least narrowed it down to 5 I think i'd like. If I could get it down to to 2 or 3 that'd be better. As long as they can handle the mid-bass relatively well and have slightly bright tweeters. Who knows I may find the Cadence kits does me well. Now I just have to decide where to put the tweeter with these **** side curtain airbags.

I loved the ones in my signature! I would take the Polks over any in your post. The power they got is also in the sig for reference.

EDIT: When I bought my Polks they were considerably more than a $100. Gauging from the comments it would appear that you can't go wrong with the Pioneers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pioneer D1720C are the best set of components I have ever bought. Those tweeters are 1 1/8 silk domes and play down to 2k! the mids bump really well too, everyone I know is surprised by my doors. Not too harsh or anything either. I just set my eq to flat and let them sing. Best 100 dollar set of comps hands down IMO.

Pioneer D1720C are the best set of components I have ever bought. Those tweeters are 1 1/8 silk domes and play down to 2k! the mids bump really well too, everyone I know is surprised by my doors. Not too harsh or anything either. I just set my eq to flat and let them sing. Best 100 dollar set of comps hands down IMO.
This. I do the same with mine, EQ flat and I have them crossed at 31.5 Hz at 24 dB/oct. They take every bit of 70 RMS and love it. Best bang for your buck out there, hands down.

Hmm....I'd jump for the Pioneers if I thought I wouldn't want the MOMOs or JBLs later. Both of which I've actually heard and like. Haven't heard any of the other's I'm considering, just going on reviews. I also have no door dampening material at the moment. So, you guys think I should jump for the Pioneers and call it a day, or

will I feel left wanting more? I know, no what can answer that. Right now I have Alpine SPS-600 2 ways in the doors. If I get the Pioneers, they'll be powered by the MB Quart ONX4.125 or Q4.150 depending on the sub I choose. Is 125-150WRms going to be too much? Assuming i could just turn the gain down on the 1/2 channel...

That may be a little too much power for them depending on where you cross them, but I guarantee you won't feel like you're missing out. The TS-D1720Cs sound almost as good as my TS-C720PRS components I have in my Caprice. They're not quite as smooth and don't pick up on the mid bass quite as much, but for the $$$, you can't go wrong with them.

Same thing for the Polks, I crossed mine at 50Hz, and I gave them about 80 rms. I didn't deaden the doors, but they were in an Infiniti SUV which had a bit more than the standard deadening of none luxury cars. I would go with the Polks purely, because of my past experiences... I haven't heard the Pioneers in question, so I can't make a fair comparison. My thinking though is that if you already have that question in mind, it won't go away unless the Pioneers blow you away with their performance.

"That may be a little too much power for them depending on where you cross them,.."
That's what I was afraid of. I need something that can handle a little more power. I'm not going to have anything to adjust with besides

the amp and HU. The Cadence set is rated at 100W. I may just have to go that route until Oct when I get my financial aid from school, and get the MOMOs.

I know I already like those and the JBLs. The MOMOs really are a fantastic set, of course they are also almost double the the cost of the Pioneers. If I knew the Pio's could handle the 125W, I think they'd definitely be worth a try. D-A-M-N this industry!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rage.gif.0ad8a6e5565b5fddce406566fdd05149.gif

I found the Db6501 set for $60 I thought I had a blown speaker and heard these were decent so scooped them up. Long story short my speaker wasnt blown it was wiring, anyways Im happy I bought them. Im just running them with 20 watts of the head unit I have, a Kenwood. They are good quality speakers, I would reccommend them for the price. However there bass is lacking and the highs can be bright. Other than that good speakers for the money

I just bought a pair of the db6501's myself. My friend has a set in his 4runner, and I think they sound great for the price. Ive always been impressed with his soundstage and the time came to do something about mine.

Anyone else running the TS-D1720Cs on more power? I've ran DB6501 coaxs before and I was pretty happy with them. Honestly, I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.