Polk Audio?

-Josh-
10+ year member

First off, I went by a local audio shop that has the Alpine SPR-60C and listened to them for about 15 minutes and had a headache after. The highs where very bright and the mids where under-powered like other people on the forums said.

So I am back on the hunt for new speakers. A friend told me about polk audio's, and I came across these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107MM6501/Polk-Audio-MM6501.html?tp=95

So has anyone had ever had experience with this brand, this is the first time I have ever heard of them?

Do they make good speakers or should I find a different brand?

And, how do there mids and highs compare to the Alpine SPR-60C?

the brand of polk audio is ok .but i suggest the 6.5" components can get more bass.the alpine's pirce look good enough.
I was at first wanting to get the Alpine's, but the highs are way to bright for my preference. I meant to put the 6 1/2 comps in the link my bad, I am fixing that right now.

sorry for mistake . do you add a new amplifier to handle that? i think the problem is not caused by the speaker . mainly problem from amplifier or install.
When I went to my local audio shop in the display they were hooked up to a jl amp feeding them a 100 watts so they weren't under-powered. It may just be a preference sorta deal. I am just now understand what other people were saying with the mids lacking and the highs are on the brighter side.

When I went to my local audio shop in the display they were hooked up to a jl amp feeding them a 100 watts so they weren't under-powered. It may just be a preference sorta deal. I am just now understand what other people were saying with the mids lacking and the highs are on the brighter side.
The problem is that you're listening to these speakers on a soundboard where the response won't be exactly like they are in your vehicle. The problem with Polks is that even though they're better than a lot of offerings in the price range, the tweeters are extremely sensitive to install location and can be very fatiguing. I'll try to point you in the right direction, but need to know what your budget is first.

The problem is that you're listening to these speakers on a soundboard where the response won't be exactly like they are in your vehicle. The problem with Polks is that even though they're better than a lot of offerings in the price range, the tweeters are extremely sensitive to install location and can be very fatiguing. I'll try to point you in the right direction, but need to know what your budget is first.
Around 300 dollars.

Any thoughts on these Jl's:

JL Audio C2650 Evolution™ C2 Series 6-3/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

or

these JBL's:

JBL MS-62C 6-1/2" component system at Crutchfield.com

You can tell by my signature where I'd lean based on those two options. The JL are OK, but you can find better for the money. Other options to consider would be the Massive Audio CK6X, Image Dynamics CTX-65cs, and CDT CL-61.

Also, SonicElectronix has those MS62c comps for waaaaaaay cheaper than Crutchfield and they are a JBL authorized reseller.

You can tell by my signature where I'd lean based on those two options. The JL are OK, but you can find better for the money. Other options to consider would be the Massive Audio CK6X, Image Dynamics CTX-65cs, and CDT CL-61.
Also, SonicElectronix has those MS62c comps for waaaaaaay cheaper than Crutchfield and they are a JBL authorized reseller.
I obviously would purchase from Sonic's; Crutchfield is just much easier to navigate.

How do the mids and highs sound from the JBL's?

The mids need a good install to sound right. I've got a build thread up here that talks about what I did to have mine installed and now have extremely clear midbass. The tweeters, even though they're a titanium dome, are extremely smooth. Definitely nowhere close to ear-bleeding like the Alpine R-type. Overall, I'm very impressed so far with how they came out.

Buy them on Sonic and spend the remainder by getting 12 sqft of AudioTechnix deadener so you can take care of your doors. Should be thoroughly impressed with the end result. 12 sqft is 50 bucks from AT, btw.

The mids need a good install to sound right. I've got a build thread up here that talks about what I did to have mine installed and now have extremely clear midbass. The tweeters, even though they're a titanium dome, are extremely smooth. Definitely nowhere close to ear-bleeding like the Alpine R-type. Overall, I'm very impressed so far with how they came out.
Buy them on Sonic and spend the remainder by getting 12 sqft of AudioTechnix deadener so you can take care of your doors. Should be thoroughly impressed with the end result. 12 sqft is 50 bucks from AT, btw.
I was going definitely to sound deaden my doors when putting in my new speakers. Also, do you think the alpine cde-hd137bt with the ktp-445u power pack is enough to power these speaker so they sound good and clear?

I was going definitely to sound deaden my doors when putting in my new speakers. Also, do you think the alpine cde-hd137bt with the ktp-445u power pack is enough to power these speaker so they sound good and clear?
What's your overall goal with how you want your system to sound? Are you looking to make it sound like a concert hall (SQ) or do you want a block rocker (SPL)? If you want that concert hall kinda feel, then you'd be better off with a Clarion CZ702 which has the ability to go active. Otherwise, you should be OK with the Alpine you mentioned above and as long as you have room for that power pack somewhere up front, that should work out well also.

What's your overall goal with how you want your system to sound? Are you looking to make it sound like a concert hall (SQ) or do you want a block rocker (SPL)? If you want that concert hall kinda feel, then you'd be better off with a Clarion CZ702 which has the ability to go active. Otherwise, you should be OK with the Alpine you mentioned above and as long as you have room for that power pack somewhere up front, that should work out well also.
My overall goal is to get a much better sound system than stock, and I want it to have a bass but not bass heavy if that makes sense. I want my system to be SPL and I do have enough room to put the power pack up front. If I want to upgrade my rear side panel speakers next, do I need to stick with JBL or can I go to a different brand?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.