Polk Audio PA880.1?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Roswellien
10+ year member

Hey guys, I have been a lurker for a good 4+ years now but this is my first post.

I recently had a great deal come by that I could not pass on, on a Polk PA880 Amp. I plan on using this to drive either 1 or 2 TC Sounds TC-1000 DVC 12's (have not decided for sure yet).

My question is if any body has any experience with this amp and what its power handling capabilities are (especially with 1ohm loads)? Would i be happier driving only 1 of my subs or both? I can not seem to find hardly anything online on this model of amp.

I have the chance to sale one of my TC Subs and pick up a Polk PA660 amp on the cheap as well to drive my Polk MOMO door speakers.

Help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have a few days to get the cash back I spent on the amp if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh thats what I am finding odd too, the listing on Speakers & Audio Systems for Home, Car & Marine seems completely fuzzled. The box advertises 600w RMS at 1ohm and stable, the manual says the amp is NOT 1 ohm stable, and the polk website is completely fubar when it comes to the 880.1 model, one page listing 300w RMS at 1ohm, another 800w rms 1ohm. Only reason I can come up with is that its because its so new, we just barely got them into work 2 days ago.

The sub/subs Im running are 12" TC Sounds TC-1000s with 400w RMS, I know the amp would be under powering the subs if I ran both, but Im not to worried about that.

I suppose in general I was looking for opinions on Polk AMPS in general, I love their speakers/subs but have never used a polk amp.

In addendum to the above the manual lists the following

300w RMS @ 4ohm

500w RMS @ 2ohm

800w Peak

Not stable at 1ohm.

The box lists it as 1 ohm stable, as does the website, and the only other place I found it online http://www.bestbuy.com lists it as 1ohm stable as well.

Well I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the PA660.4 as well. First impressions of both amps is that they are drop dead gorgeous and have a slight brushed aluminum look but are black anodized as well. I haven't had the chance to install them, that will have to wait until i can pickup a sub box and a wiring kit. Since I seem to be one of the first with these amps Ill post a review/impression. As soon as I can.

I just bought this amp at bestbuy for 199.99 to run 2 12" Phoenix Gold Max. I was amaze hard this amp kick my sub. the bass was decent (with the proper set up, i only have to turn the bass on my head unit (kdc-x991) to -7 with the volume 25 and the bass is clear. The only thing i don't like about the amp is because it doesn't have a cooling fan, so its get hot (and i mean very very hot) after 10 min of hard hitting bass.

If you are on a budget, and want a decent bass (not very loud) this is a great buy, otherwise if you want very loud bass, i suggest you look or invest in another amp (JL audio 1000.1

I bought this amp when it first came out. I was dissapointed because of the freaking heat it put out. It can kick some bass out, I had it on 2 rockford 10s but at 1.4 ohms the thing gets too **** hot after about 30 minutes and shuts down, what a shame because it is nice and clean like most polk products. I put it on two sony xplode subs at 2ohms and it ran longer and hit well but not as much power as 1.4ohms. This is not a good sub amp though if you need big power, one on each sub though and it would be perfect. It puts out about 300 to 400 watts RMS at 2ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.