Plz help me!! (Should be easy)

Participant count
  • Participant list

AlexBoomin

CarAudio.com Newbie
So my amp won’t turn off with the car. I’m running the remote wire from an audio control LC2i converter straight the the amp. Both sides of the wire look good and are hooked up properly not sure what the hell the problem is and it’s driving me crazy

Pretty sure the problem is coming from the LC2i

Make sure you don’t have a stray wire touching. Did you just hook it up or did it just start after you’ve had it hooked up a while?

It was working with my old amp perfectly fine. I just got A new amp and installed it and now this.. I don’t see any stray wire tho
If you're questioning the wire integrity you can run a bodge wire temporarily from the positive cable to the signal slot. If it turns on then it's the wire's fault or the LC2i. There's two modes on the lc2i, make sure the jumper is set to the one you want. Are you using remote turn on from the unit or a fuse to the lc2i or are you using signal sense? If signal sense you'll need to set the jumper accordingly or it will receive no signal.

If nothing has changed other than a new amplifier then the only thing it can be is the installation of the new amplifier. Unhook the new amplifier completely, inspect all wires under bright light, inspect all amplifier terminals under bright light, check the amplifiers mounting location and clean it. Reinstall the amplifier carefully, don't rush it. Hopefully your issue will be fixed. If not... tell us the rest of the story.

Help guys !

Attachments

• C9D6571D-56B2-45C9-868D-9839C17E8065.png
    C9D6571D-56B2-45C9-868D-9839C17E8065.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 223
My first thought is the gain knob is not a power percentage knob... like 0 - 100%. Depending on the pre-amp signal going into the amp, you could be severely overdriving that sub.

well I didn’t mean it like that I meant it the gain all the way up is 100 I have it turned up a bit passed half way

well I didn’t mean it like that I meant it the gain all the way up is 100 I have it turned up a bit passed half way
Depending on how many volts are going into the amp via the RCA cables (The Input Signal) determines how much the gain is turned up. It is a multiplier of the input signal. Depending on the final impedance load (The Subwoofer Voicecoil) it may put out even more voltage. Example, my sub amp on my 2ohm sub is turned up slightly in between 1/4 and 1/2 of the way up on the gain. Other factors likes bass boost, loudness and your eq before the amp will also up the input voltage on the amplifier.

Depending on how many volts are going into the amp via the RCA cables (The Input Signal) determines how much the gain is turned up. It is a multiplier of the input signal. Depending on the final impedance load (The Subwoofer Voicecoil) it may put out even more voltage. Example, my sub amp on my 2ohm sub is turned up slightly in between 1/4 and 1/2 of the way up on the gain. Other factors likes bass boost, loudness and your eq before the amp will also up the input voltage on the amplifier.

So when I replace the blown sub.. just keep the gain at or below half way? Would this explain the blown fuse?

1. Find max clean volume on the head unit with all EQ's flat, no bass boost, no loudness.
2. Turn the gain down on the sub amp all the way. Set the crossover to 80hz on one device only, either the head unit or sub amp, but not both.
3. With the sub CONNECTED, play a -10db 40hz tone with the head unit at max clean volume. Adjust the gain on the sub amp until you hear a difference in tone of the sub, when you here the difference, back the gain down until the tone is normal.
4. Turn the head unit volume down.
5. Play some music, set your EQ and adjust the crossover if needed.
This is assuming you don't have the "tools" to view the signal and clipping of the amp.

Example of the sub tone change as you turn up the gain:
Normal ----------------=================
Distortion -------------------===============))))))))))

Edit: If you have a bass knob, turn it all the way up before adjusting the gain.

So when I replace the blown sub.. just keep the gain at or below half way? Would this explain the blown fuse?
Quarter, half, full.. These mean nothing at all on a gain knob. The gain is determined by your pre-out output and the scale of your gain knob. It should never be considered being low or high because it's a multiplier. If you pump in 8v preout into the amp it may clip and destroy your equipment at the lowest gain setting. If you pump in .2V preout you're going to have to turn the gain up to max and it still won't be enough (and it'll probably get into a self feedback loop that'll blow your ears out and destory your equipment). The way to set your gain is as ThxOne described, if you can't hear a difference between clip and not clipping then use a multimeter and ohms law instead (it won't get you as much power as thxone's method, but it'll get you what the manufacturer promised on their packaging). At no point in either of these methods is the gain knob treated as a percentage of full power. The amp is a dumb device that simply amplifies a signal of varying strengths to a multiple of the original less the filters and box rise and plus the bass boost.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.