When truck is not running sound is beautifull, when started the sound is very bad!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Steve_Yoda

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, new to forums sorry if this is a dumb question. I currently have a Kenwood head unit, a couple of Sony door speakers and a 600w amp driving a 10" sub. The problem is that with the engine off everything sounds great, but when I start the truck it sounds like the music was chopped into million pieces and put half back together through all speakers but I don't think through the sub :( It is not the head unit as it was working fine when I had two 6x9s run off it as well. I recently pulled those and the amp and sub out and when I put this system in it started doing this. The ground is not the problem I ran a better one to make sure, I don't think it is vibration as it is exactly the same at all rpms and speed. I am new so there has to be something I missed!?

If so, I think your new amp might be the issue.

I wrote it wrong, it is the speakers that are not run by the amp that are the problem... and this has happened before when I had 2 6x9s run off of the head unit... It cleared up when I ran them off the amp along with the sub. But now its doing it and I only have the 2 6 1/2" run off of the head unit. The fact that its only when the truck is running that confuses me, making me think its an electrical problem!? I had the dash apart to run the remote for the amp... maybe I messed something up but I checked and everything LOOKED good before I put it back together... if an amp draws from the remote wire too much power will that cause this problem? Thanks

Last edited:
if an amp draws from the remote wire too much power will that cause this problem?
I highly doubt the remote wire will cause it. I thought it might be your amps rcas affecting the headunit's signal. So its happened in the past and solution was to not use the headunit's built in amplifier. Try grounding the radio chassis to bare metal. Your description sounds like it is heavy skipping usually associated with an underpowered unit, but the symptoms say it is a grounding issue. With the truck on, your radio is powered directly from the alternator. Radios have a ground loop isolator that may go bad. When it does you get noise in your speakers, which is usually a whining but not a skipping. It may also affect the rcas, leaving you with only one usable set. You will not be able to use 3, 4 or 5 channel configuration without alot of whining being amplified.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.