Plunge Router that can cut large and small holes.

10+ year member

I want to get into building enclosure boxes and fiberglass so I'm looking for a plunge router that can cut large and small holes. I'm thinking about getting the Porter Cable 694VK which runs at $250+ dollars, but if I could get something cheaper that can cut large and small holes to save some money, it'd be better.

What are you guys using and how well does it work?

Yes, but there are some that can't cut holes that are smaller than 6 inches, from what I've read. I'm looking for one that can cut holes small enough for twitters and component speakers.

twitters? where are you reading that a router can't cut a hole smaller than 6"? a routers limits are not the router itself but the bits that are used and the tools that are used with it.

Speaker holes are made with a circle jig attached to the base. There are jigs for large and small holes, it's not router dependant. But you should also have a drill press and an assortment of Forstner bits and an adjustable hole saw for holes under 2" or so.

what they said...it's not the router that can/can't cut small or large holes its the jig you have connected to it

just got this one and it's pretty sweet

Depending on the router this one will cut small holes but on some the base of the router can get in the way

421030_3089156261274_1034988031_32986643_845059187_n.jpg

I am also interested in an inexpensive router that works well. Though I hear a lot of the performance comes from what bits you use

just go to the pawn shop and pick one up... wayyy cheaper. I have a Black & Decker plunge router and a Ryobi fixed base router. Both are pretty cheap but I haven't had any issue with either of them. One came from a pawn shop, the other was from eBay

IMO if you're just doing some weekend builds you don't need super elite power tools. If you plan to start a cabinet shop and run them 8 hours a day is when you need to get into 250$ router.

Just make sure you can get a good circle jig for whatever one you pick.

Spend more on the bits. That is the worst place to cheap out on. If you use get cheap bits they will dull quickly and put far to much stress on what ever router you purchase and cause it to fail rather quickly.

With that said, make sure you get one with a decent warranty plan(in store swapping if you can). The reason for that is when you are first learning how slow/fast you need to go to cut through various thickness of MDF you will destroy a few routers along the way.

If you guys say that it won't matter what type of router I get, then I'll just get a cheap $60 Ryobi one from HarborFreight Tools, but I'll buy some good quality bits and the Jasper 200 jig, like Groundpound mention.

If you guys say that it won't matter what type of router I get, then I'll just get a cheap $60 Ryobi one from HarborFreight Tools, but I'll buy some good quality bits and the Jasper 200 jig, like Groundpound mention.
you clearly need to do more research especially in wood working forums. you found information stating that a shape being cut by a router is dependent on the router and not the template or jig. how do you expect to get a Ryobi product from a place that doesn't sell Ryobi? Ryobi is a Home Depot exclusive brand like Ridgid. you are full of misinformation.

You seem to know your things, for someone who spends more time on the classified and thunderstorm subforums than on any other subforums.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.