Plexiglass help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Exclusive
So, quick back story....
Helping a friend build/ install a 4th order. It had a decent sized plexiglass window in the front.
We haven't had a chance to get my welder to fabricate up a brace for the enclosure yet. I get a text message today that he's cracked the plexiglass window. It looks like the crack started at one of the mounting bolts. Like any other impatient basshead, he's been slapping it without the enclosure being "done". I don't blame him, I probably couldn't help myself either.
So, we got it from Tap Plastics. It's Chemcast Cast Acrylic. This, or the Ecogreen Recycled Clear Cast Acrylic, where the only styles they offered in ¾" thickness.
My question, is this the right kind of plexiglass to be using in an enclosure? Or did it just crack because of the vibration, and needs to be braced? I just want to make sure it's the right sh*t before we order another sheet.

Rather than plexiglas — use LEXAN it doesn’t crack or shatter…

Here’s some good read up about the differences:

Ok. Makes sense. Thank you!
Now, where to buy lexan near me....🤣 I'm sure I'll find somewhere

Rather than plexiglas — use LEXAN it doesn’t crack or shatter…

Here’s some good read up about the differences:

This. I have a friend who builds boxes and all he uses is lexan. You could get a big fat 1” thick window in there.

OP, Iirc your window is massive, so it’s gonna flex some, but lexan is what I designed into basically all my boxes with windows, and there’s been zero issues that I know about. The lexan seems to be stronger than even nice birches of the same thickness.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...