Please critique my planned setup, advise on amp?

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
I mean I agree with the kicker hideaways except for you specifically mentioned to keep road noise in mind and that you want the sub in the cabin, thats the kicker (pun intended).
honestly if you want something that will sound loud in the cabin in that kind of car with road noise with that little cone area and space you will need to up your price point considerably.

this is your build and im sure you have reasons, so I wont discount that.
you have three options in my opinion.
1. temper your expectations, when sub gives a recommended volume it only means that is a decent middleground for the sub to perform in a general variety of applications. it dsoesnt mean it will perform just as well as another same power sub that recommends a larger box. typically space makes bass.
2. up your price point and power considerably. you can outweigh the space debuff by throwing more power and money at it.
3. break down and put something more efficeint in the trunk and cut a hole in the wall between seat and cabin as bobby mentioned.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
I mean I agree with the kicker hideaways except for you specifically mentioned to keep road noise in mind and that you want the sub in the cabin, thats the kicker (pun intended).
honestly if you want something that will sound loud in the cabin in that kind of car with road noise with that little cone area and space you will need to up your price point considerably.

this is your build and im sure you have reasons, so I wont discount that.
you have three options in my opinion.
1. temper your expectations, when sub gives a recommended volume it only means that is a decent middleground for the sub to perform in a general variety of applications. it dsoesnt mean it will perform just as well as another same power sub that recommends a larger box. typically space makes bass.
2. up your price point and power considerably. you can outweigh the space debuff by throwing more power and money at it.
3. break down and put something more efficeint in the trunk and cut a hole in the wall between seat and cabin as bobby mentioned.
I agree that the hideaways are not an ideal solution, and I included that with my rec. Sometimes money will get you more bass in a smaller space, however likely not in .2 cubes. That's more of a 6.5 comp mid box than a sub box. .4 -.6 net all day you can get some good lows. The 10tw5 from what I've heard with its 400 rms rating, 15mm xmax and 32 fs hits incredibly well in a very small space. However, I did the math and in .5 sealed you are hitting 52 fc. At .2 cubes you basically have a choked out midbass.

Reactions: devin171moto

Cloudpath

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 22, 2021
Earth
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that the hideaways are not an ideal solution, and I included that with my rec. Sometimes money will get you more bass in a smaller space, however likely not in .2 cubes. That's more of a 6.5 comp mid box than a sub box. .4 -.6 net all day you can get some good lows. The 10tw5 from what I've heard with its 400 rms rating, 15mm xmax and 32 fs hits incredibly well in a very small space. However, I did the math and in .5 sealed you are hitting 52 fc. At .2 cubes you basically have a choked out midbass.
What FC do you think I would hit at 0.2 with the 8" LT7? https://www.kicker.com/8-inch-l7t-2-ohm-subwoofer

Maybe I should just do some serious sound deadening in the kick panels and go with some Morel Maximo Ultra 602s or some of the Morel Ultra 603A's designed for active 3-way (or some other 6.5's with good power in the lower frequency range?? The Morels say they 'only' go down to 50 hz where others go down to 35, but I am not sure how useful anything below 50hz would be from a 6.5...) Then I would only need a 2-channel amp and could always add a Hideaway later if I want?

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
What FC do you think I would hit at 0.2 with the 8" LT7? https://www.kicker.com/8-inch-l7t-2-ohm-subwoofer

Maybe I should just do some serious sound deadening in the kick panels and go with some Morel Maximo Ultra 602s or some of the Morel Ultra 603A's designed for active 3-way (or some other 6.5's with good power in the lower frequency range?? The Morels say they 'only' go down to 50 hz where others go down to 35, but I am not sure how useful anything below 50hz would be from a 6.5...) Then I would only need a 2-channel amp and could always add a Hideaway later if I want?
I am running the Morel maximo ultra 3 way active in my setup. The 6.5s have good midbass, I cross them at 50 and 500. They are excellent, clear speakers. I do not know how they sound passive though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds