Playing with charger connected

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blown Camaro

Is it a bad idea to play with a battery charger connected? I have a smart charger for my AGM battery that I use at 10 amps to recharge my Optima yellow top. I like to sit in the car in the garage and drink beer sometimes and listen to some tunes LOUDLY. Obviously, I cannot run the car in the garage.

Is it a bad idea to play with a battery charger connected? I have a smart charger for my AGM battery that I use at 10 amps to recharge my Optima yellow top. I like to sit in the car in the garage and drink beer sometimes and listen to some tunes LOUDLY. Obviously, I cannot run the car in the garage.
Should not hurt anything.

Pull your car OUT of the garage and run it while playing. That's what I do.

John Kuthe...

Your sound system will draw significantly more than 10 amps, so even with a smart charger connected and running in 10 amp mode the battery reserve will still become depleted. Keep this in mind and limit the time with the system playing loudly with the engine off, or even with the engine idling as that is not when an alternator typically does much in terms of current output.

Your sound system will draw significantly more than 10 amps, so even with a smart charger connected and running in 10 amp mode the battery reserve will still become depleted. Keep this in mind and limit the time with the system playing loudly with the engine off, or even with the engine idling as that is not when an alternator typically does much in terms of current output.
True, but the OP's question I think was will it hurt anything and I don't think it can. Yes playing your high powered audio system while the battery may **** up all the juice meant for charging your battery, but it's not gonna break anything.

John Kuthe...

My car IDLES at 92Db. The fumes are really bad too unless I am moving. See Avatar.
Yuck!! I'm looking at all electric vehicles, like the Nissan Leaf and recently saw talk about the Tesla type 3! Just talk at this point but for twice the mileage and around $35,000, yeah!

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.