Pioneer TS-D1602R/JBL P963 vs Pioneer TS-A1685R/TS-A6995R

Participant count
  • Participant list

seabronco

This is for a Pioneer AVH-X1600DVD Head Unit in a 2002 Honda Accord 2-Dr. The setup will not initially have an amp and subwoofer but it planned to at some point.

Which pairing above would be the best choice or would a different pairing (e.g., TS-D1602R/TS-A6995R) be the best choice considering 6.5" Fronts and 6x9" Rear Decks? Is it better to stick with one brand (e.g., Pioneer) for fronts and rears or does it matter? Are there better choices out there in this price range (less than $200 on Amazon)?

Pioneers seem to have the best frequency response in this price range and the lowest low frequency limit (for bass). However, the JBL P963 seems to consistently get a top rating (over the Pioneers) for bass despite a higher low frequency limit. I really like bass so that is important for me but is frequency range more important for sound quality? Also, I was concerned about the TS-D1602R because of its low sensitivity (88 dB) given I don't yet have an amp.

I'm a newbie and I've read about sensitivity, frequency range, RMS and power range but I don't have any clue what affect ohms has. Can someone explain so a newbie can understand?

OK, I read up on Impedence so I understand now why you warned me about the speakers being 2 Ohms. The specs for my head unit say to only use 4 Ohm speakers. However, the JBL specs say they are compatible with 4 ohm head units even though they are 2 ohm speakers. Should I trust that or is there still potential they could blow out my head unit?

If they really will work with my head units included amp that would be ideal because they would also work at 2 ohms when an external amp is installed.

Is that right or am I missing something?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.