Pioneer subwoofer pops only when engine is turning

Participant count
  • Participant list

mjcbento

Portugal
Hi,

My car has a 8 speaker JBL system from factory with a 300w amp that connects to 4 woofers and 4 tweeters. I wanted to improve the bass since i didnt have a sub woofer, so i bought one Pioneer GM-A3602 amp and one Pioneer TS-W304R subwoofer. Since i needed to maintain the factory headunit , i connected RCA's to the back woofers signals from the headunit and a converter wasn't necessary because my headunit sends low signals. I connected the AMP remote turn-on signal to the one from the factory AMP and works perfectly except when i start the engine....the amp pops... then it works perfectly with excelent quality, it doesnt pop when i turn off the engine and in any other ocasion, only when i turn the key to start the engine. If i disconnect the RCA's it doesnt pop. I have power wires and RCA's in the same side of the car but they are well insulated.

What am i missing?

I connected rcas to back speakers signal from the headunit. My new AMP's switch power comes from the same spot as the factory one, i think it should work fine... :/ its only the subwoofer poping , not the speakers...

Try switching from the rca's to the high level inputs.
I tried that before trying with RCA's and the sound was just too low, i couldn't even notice the subwoofer. Tu use the high level inputs i would have to connect wires directly from the rear speakers and those are amplified by the factory amp. I think i would lose quality and low frequencies because factory amp has internal crossovers for tweeters and woofers. I think my pioneer amp doesn't have the muting circuits that delay output to the subwoofer until the power supply is stable. What do you of remote turn on delay box?

I tried that before trying with RCA's and the sound was just too low, i couldn't even notice the subwoofer. Tu use the high level inputs i would have to connect wires directly from the rear speakers and those are amplified by the factory amp. I think i would lose quality and low frequencies because factory amp has internal crossovers for tweeters and woofers. I think my pioneer amp doesn't have the muting circuits that delay output to the subwoofer until the power supply is stable. What do you of remote turn on delay box?
You can make yourself your own remote turn on using a switch or relay.
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Before i turn the key to start the engine the headunit and amps are already On without poping. The pop i hear is when the engine is cranking, the headunit kills the remote before that but maybe it sends the poping signal at the same time. If that signal arrives to the amp before the remote is killed maybe that's the reason why this happens...

Before i turn the key to start the engine the headunit and amps are already On without poping. The pop i hear is when the engine is cranking, the headunit kills the remote before that but maybe it sends the poping signal at the same time. If that signal arrives to the amp before the remote is killed maybe that's the reason why this happens...
... its a ground loop
Some amps are more sensitive then others.

... its a ground loop
Some amps are more sensitive then others.

Hi, it didn't work. I grounded the RCA's with a fuse to prevent trouble and it popped repeatedly until the fuse blew and i didn't even cranked the engine.

After that i connected the AMP ground directly to the battery to test if the problem was bad ground and it wasn't, it popped again when i cranked the engine...

Do you have any more ideas?

Hi, it didn't work. I grounded the RCA's with a fuse to prevent trouble and it popped repeatedly until the fuse blew and i didn't even cranked the engine.After that i connected the AMP ground directly to the battery to test if the problem was bad ground and it wasn't, it popped again when i cranked the engine...

Do you have any more ideas?
Did you make sure to look up how to ground a rca cable correctly?
If you did and it still didnt work then there is a issue with the wires or the amp is going bad via the internal board where rca connectors are.

Have you ever disconnected the RCAs while the amp is on?

Edit: forgot to mention some stock headunits cause noise during startup so it requires you to delay the amp turning on until the headunit loads so more like a 1-3 second delay turn on with a relay.

Sent from my Moto G4 using Tapatalk

Did you make sure to look up how to ground a rca cable correctly?
If you did and it still didnt work then there is a issue with the wires or the amp is going bad via the internal board where rca connectors are.

Have you ever disconnected the RCAs while the amp is on?

Edit: forgot to mention some stock headunits cause noise during startup so it requires you to delay the amp turning on until the headunit loads so more like a 1-3 second delay turn on with a relay.

Yes , I have disconnected the RCA's while amp was on 1 or 2 times to test, it popps but i think that's normal. Now that i'm thinking i grounded only one of the RCA's to the ground amp terminal, makes a difference if i ground both of them?

Yes , I have disconnected the RCA's while amp was on 1 or 2 times to test, it popps but i think that's normal. Now that i'm thinking i grounded only one of the RCA's to the ground amp terminal, makes a difference if i ground both of them?
Removing rcas while the amp is on can damage the rca circuit on the internal board, the amp always has to be off when you disconnect them.
Doesnt mean it will always damage it, but its most likely to happen or cause other issues.

Also if its for a sub, dont forget subs are mono not stereo so grounding one rca doesnt really help unless its the right one being used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.