Pioneer sub started smoking but still works

Rcasey

I've had a Pioneer Ts-3002D2 subwoofer running on about 800 watts from a RE dts1000.1 with 6g which didn't allow enough power for a few months now and everything was fine. I recently purchased a new car and the sub and box sat in the garage for two months. Yesterday I ran 2g welding wire and hooked the sub up to the same amp at 800rms running at 1 ohm like before. After about 5 minutes of playing I decided to turn it off and pack the tools up for work but once I had opened the trunk, black smoke came pouring out of the box. I removed the sub from the box and noticed there was a fair amount of mildew inside. Both coils still read at 2 ohms and I set the bass. Post to zero and gain to 1/3. Everything seems to work fine but is it safe and what would have caused this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ok thank you, that explains it. Do you think the sub will be fine to run now with the gain set correctly and can I set bass boost above zero

Ok thank you, that explains it. Do you think the sub will be fine to run now with the gain set correctly and can I set bass boost above zero
bass boost = death of sub. Dont ever touch that again on the head unit NOR the amp. only thing that should be used is the gain level and your head unit volume level and your head unit's subwoofer level.

Dont even touch any EQ bands related to bass on your head unit's EQ options.

Reason why is you introduce a lot of distortion which heats up the sub and basically kills the sub.

You are forcing it to have a different type of bass frequency with bass boost rather than just amplifying the natural bass signal of the song with the gain/head unit volume/sub level. This easily clips the signal.

Every equalizer I use I always set bass as low as it goes, I'm usually pretty careful with tuning but nobody has ever mentioned bass boost on the amp but now I know and hopefully I don't hurt my sub more. Thank you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.